Hosted by Darren Baker
mold making question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:01 PM UTC
I've made several RTV and silicon molds in the past, but almost always using a resin item as the master. A resin master is always easy to remove from the mold. A few years ago I picked up a hydrocal/plaster inexpensive souvenir item in a foreign country. I cleaned it up, detailed it, and made it look more like a real miniature rather than a souvenir. It is a stone wall section with relief carving (Ankor Wat, Cambodia). Measures about 4" x 6", and about 1/2" thick. I would like to make a mold of this, but, being hyrocal/plaster, is more fragile than resin masters. Is there a safe or easy way to remove the master from the mold material without damaging or destroying the master?
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC
I don't think you'll have a problem with this material. After the RTV cures, can't you just carefully push from behind the mold like popping it out?

ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC
Perhaps what you should do first is seal the master with some kind of shellac or other sealant. That should keep the master intact so that it doesn't break apart. Unfortunately , I don't know a brand to recommend but I'm sure someone here will.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:19 PM UTC
Yes...sealing and maybe some kind of lubricant to keep the master from sticking in the mold. There are lots of rough edges and deep cuts on the master.
 _GOTOTOP