_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobbyboss AAV-7A1 w/EAAK
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Well, this is actually a combination of two kits. I put the Hobbyboss AAV-7 RAMS interior into the AFV Club boxing of the kit. I want to add figures, but I'm not sure which set to get yet since I'm not sure what I need for modern day Marine tankers.

ScratchShipBuilder
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
Looks good. I painted a Trumpeter the same way once. I'd like to kitbash two different Hobbyboss kits to do an invasion model when I can afford it. If I read other threads right I think I add the armor from this kit to one that is pre RAMs. I'm sure that's an oversimplification.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I add the armor from this kit to one that is pre RAMs. I'm sure that's an oversimplification.

IIRC Hobbyboss does a pre-Rammer with EAAK armour.
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
How was fitting the interior? I have the Hobbyboss kit and I cannot get the top hull to fit onto the bottom; I've been thinking of closing it up in hopes it will fit. Lots of dry fitting, but still not aligned. I'd hate to have to close it up and hide all the interior detail.

-Felix
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How was fitting the interior? I have the Hobbyboss kit and I cannot get the top hull to fit onto the bottom; I've been thinking of closing it up in hopes it will fit. Lots of dry fitting, but still not aligned. I'd hate to have to close it up and hide all the interior detail.

-Felix

I had trouble fitting the top of the hull over the interior too. I found that the problem is the interior panels you glue to the inside of the lower hull. What I did was used super glue and accelerator slowly worked my way around the seam. Another thing you can do it bevel the edges of the interior panels around the turret and driver's compartment with a small file to match the contour of the upper hull.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I add the armor from this kit to one that is pre RAMs. I'm sure that's an oversimplification.

IIRC Hobbyboss does a pre-Rammer with EAAK armour.

Yes, Hobbyboss makes both, I used the AFV Club boxing since I found it cheap on Ebay (40.00 bucks!) I'm going to take my AAV7 with the mounting bosses and build it buttoned up.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC
The AAV looks good. I think the antenna appears a bit too long/tall though, they are only about 6' or so tall.

I have a pile of these in the stash with intent to attain more. I plan to build the AAV I crewed in Somalia, at AVTB, OIF I and OIF II. Those will get the full detail and AM treatment I can afford (in finance and patience).

In addition to those I acquired all the parts to build a hybrid that was at AVTB. An LVTP7 that had RAM/RS suspension, an Upgunned Weapons Station, bowplane and EAAK mounts. I also managed to pick up AFV Club's boxing as an AAVC7A1 for very cheap. I haven't decided if I want to do the interior on that yet, lots of scratch building involved with that venture.

Beyond that I am tinkering with the idea of doing an LVTPX12 (experimental vehicle that became the LVTP7) and the LVTEX3 (P7 with heavily modified hull that also mounted a Sheridan turret with a 105mm cannon).
 _GOTOTOP