_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
StuG III Ausf G interior references/sources
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 04:27 PM UTC
Good morning, all. I'm starting a project to build a detailed StuG III G with interior and some PE add-ons. It'll be based on Cyber Hobby kit 6412 which represents a mid/late variant. I'm wondering if any of you have can recommend good references for what the interior looked like and if there are any other resin interior vendors I should consider other than thetankworkshop.com.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 05:52 PM UTC
You'll find some interior and all sorts of exterior shots here:

http://www.andreaslarka.net/assaultguns.html

Kimmo
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC
Great reference. Thank you, Kimmo. Any idea how true-to-factory the interior color schemes are there? Looks like primer red flooring, along with some red fixtures and dunkelgelb walls. Some older photos appear to have more of an elfenbein color on the walls.

Here, in particular, it appears that the museum painted over the ivory color at some point.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 12:43 AM UTC
Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not. I suspect it is very close to original though, I can't see them repainting it differently than what it originally came in and trying to match colours with what was at hand. The only exception would be the gun and mount, that appears to be Finnish green. I do know the interior was more elfenbein than dunkelgelb, the flash is casting a tint. I was lucky enough to crawl around inside that one many moons ago, very cramped and claustrophobic for a tall person. I do recall most of the primer (or possibly just regular paint) examples seen on the Sturmis were a really vivid red, no hint of brown. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it was very close to what the Germans were using.

Kimmo
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
Tom Cockle wrote a book called Walk around No.2 published by Squadron Signal. ISBN 0-89747-434-1 published in 2001. Its full of photographs of the exterior and the interior (both fighting compartment and the engine compartment)..... highly recommended book.

Anto.
 _GOTOTOP