_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which Modern Leopard: Tamiya or Hobby Boss?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
I'm going to build only ONE Leopard, and it has to be German markings. I have looked at the various discussions, etc. and want to know what the consensus is:

Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 Main Battle Tank #35271 (how old is this kit? Tamiya kits put themselves together, but often lack detail and have the usual rubber band tracks)

Hobby Boss Leopard 2 A5/A6 Tank #82402 (generally very well detailed and fun kits to build).

OK, have at it.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC
Meng's Leopard 2A4!

Seriously, it's one of the finest modern tank kits I've ever seen. I have one mostly through major construction. Clear periscopes, workable track, PE, it's got it all - except a metal tow rope:-(

If you gotta have a 2A6 and it has to be now, I'd vote Tamiya. The Hobby Boss just has too much funkiness (like their raised non-skid patches) that put me off. The Tamiya 2A5/2A6 are typical Tamiya kits. You'll need the PE set for the turret baskets, though.

If you gotta have a 2A5/6 and you can wait, wait for Meng , there are hints on the sprues that they might.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:07 AM UTC
Tamiya over Hobbyboss. Tamiya has better details, better fit and has the non-slip tiles done correctly. The Meng is also very nice
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC
Bill, IMHO Brett is right on all accounts. I've built both.
The Hobby Boss kit was inexpensive. I bought it as a practice kit for air brushing. I am a real newbie with one.
The Tamiya kit I picked up at a show, cheap also. But the kit supplied mesh was a time consuming nightmare. Not a happy camper with the end results on the baskets. Didn't know about the PE mesh until I saw Cat Dude's build here. There are some road signs and decals for a little diorama if you are so inclined. Molded in the tub is 2000.
I have the Meng A3/A4 but haven't started it yet, so no comment.
What ever you decide on have fun building it !
Tom
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hello Bill,

if you want to build an A5/A6, the Tamiya kit is your first choice.

Tamiya has provided very good details without any lacks. Most probably Krauss/Maffei/Wegmann supervised and enabled a proper performance. Even the tracks are reproduced with fine details.

The only detail they forgot is the antenna for the camera at the rear. And as Brett mentioned: The turret baskets should be replaced by PEs.

Tamiya's Leopard 2 A6 kit is amongst their military line one of the few what combines both fine details AND easy assembly.

mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 07:13 AM UTC
Bill definately Tamiya,and with Bronco's workable track,makes a great model an even greater one.If you want to really dress it up you can add this http://www.am-works.com/store/lw35057-leopard-detail-tamiya-p-85.html in stock at Sprue Bros

Echelon mirrors and Leopard workshops Leo 2 barrel would really crown this ....then of course Eureka tow cables....geeze I;ll have to get mine going.....

Mike
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 07:35 AM UTC
You can also leave the turret baskets off, they don't always have them fitted.

And all the Tamiya 2A5 parts are in the 2A6, the difference between the two kits is just a longer gun barrel, new figures and different decals.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 08:44 AM UTC
Or you could just skip the Alliance set and go straight for the Voyager Pro set like I did see below since it has tow cables and barrel, really should start mine sometime
http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=PRO35001

or see PMMS for the review

Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And all the Tamiya 2A5 parts are in the 2A6, the difference between the two kits is just a longer gun barrel, new figures and different decals.

That's not entirely correct. The 2A6 kit also added clear parts for headlight lenses, tail lights and reflectors, all provided in the 2A5 kit only as solid green plastic pieces. But this means that 2A6 is the one to buy, even if someone wants to build 2A5.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 07:41 PM UTC
Thanks, everyone, this is very helpful. Sounds like the Tamiya and Meng kits are the way to go.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's not entirely correct. The 2A6 kit also added clear parts for headlight lenses, tail lights and reflectors, all provided in the 2A5 kit only as solid green plastic pieces. But this means that 2A6 is the one to buy, even if someone wants to build 2A5.

I totally forgot about that, thanks for correcting me! There's also clear goggles for the figures and some road signs on the new green parts if I remember correctly.
 _GOTOTOP