_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
War is Hell....Half-track & Soldier at rest
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
I had gotten the idea for this project a short time ago, when I saw a photo of an upcoming figure posted on the boards.

The photo below is of my Grandfather, (somewhere in Belgium I've been told).
He served in Europe as a Canadian Infantry Sgt with the Lake Superior Regiment (Motor).
The first time anyone in my extended family saw this photo, we were all watching a video "slideshow".....when the photo came up, everybody kind of looked at Grandpa with a sideways glance.
He gave a smirk, and only said, "War is Hell".
This statement summed up the funny, amazing Grandfather I knew, and I thought re-creating this scene as a 1:35 Diorama might be a fun tribute.

In wishing to recreate this scene, all I needed was a drinking, reclining soldier, and a Half-Track.
Unfortunately, I’m not willing to pay $100-$200 for the kit, plus an extra $50 ish for the figure, so I have to improvise.

I found the old Revell/Monogram M16 Halftrack online, and even though it’s an old kit and rife with inaccuracy to recreate a Canadian halftrack, I’m just going to get it as close as I can to the photo. (Plus it was only $40 including shipping from the States) 

Of course, the twin .50 cal will be omitted, and I’ll mount a .50 on the cab/compartment partition, and a couple M1919s on the sides of the troop compartment.

As for the figure, I decided to “Frankenstein” from various bits, and see what I could come up with.

First up, I took the tank commander from the Tamiya M4, and used careful heating, bending, & clamping to cross one foot over the other, and cut the fella in half.

For the torso, I used the driver figure I had left over from the Tamiya Universal Carrier, but cut off his head as I had a better one in spares.

I cobbled together arms & hands from spares as well.
The beer bottle needs a little more shaping, and will be painted brown.

The kit itself is dead simple, which is fine with me as what I care about are the general details that will match best with the feeling of the original photo.

My biggest issue so far is that the doors are molded with the top half in the “closed” position, but that was easy enough to fix by cutting at the hinge point and re assembling in the “down” position.

I’ve started fabricating the “door port” with some spare PE, but hate how it looks so far, and am still in the initial stages of this portion.

So this is where things have ended up so far……I’d really like to be able to adjust the right arm position to better match the Original photo, but besides that I’m not too upset with how things are turning out.

This weekend, I'm hoping to begin roughing out the diorama base to pull this all together.

Cheers,C[ ]
Hammer Sandwich
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 07:24 PM UTC
Good job so far, mate!

As regards the door vision port, using scratch PE is a good idea, but I think you got the setup wrong:

If you look closely at the reference pic, you can see that the movable armour plate that covers the vision port was located on the inside of the door when all buttoned up. When the top part of the door is folded outwards, the amrour plate thus appears on the exterior. YOu mounted the armour plate to be hidden. I don't know if this is the kit's error, but anyhow.
Also, on the picture the vision port is shown closed. Maybe you can just scrape of what's on the other side and put it on the outside?

I hope you get my point
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe you can just scrape of what's on the other side and put it on the outside?

I hope you get my point

I do understand....good idea, I think I might attempt that.
Thanks!

HS
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
I love what you're doing! I would like to make the suggestion that you cut him off at the wrist and rotate his hand a bit to better capture the bottle-chugging pose. That was the aspect of the original photo that first caught my eye. Following.

HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love what you're doing! I would like to make the suggestion that you cut him off at the wrist and rotate his hand a bit to better capture the bottle-chugging pose. That was the aspect of the original photo that first caught my eye. Following.

100% agree, the more I look at that right arm, the more it bugs me.
Thanks!
HS
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Got some more on the go with this.

The kit comes with the “ditch roller”, but my reference photo looks to me like the halftrack has the larger winch bumper that I seem to be finding in my other research pics.
To the Spares box!!!!

I have what I think is a plate that is an extra from the rear of a Tamiya M4, it looked about the right size, so I decided to give it a go.

As for the winch, I used some backs of spare running wheels, some sprue for the winch “axle”, and some “brackets” I found in my spares.

(I still have to carve out the holes on either side of the winch, and do some sanding/filling, but that’s today’s job)

It kind of looks like hot garbage, but it’s close to the right size, and we’ll see how things look after paint/weathering. I can always switch back to the roller.

As for the fig, I did some carving & sanding for the arm.
I still have lots of filling to do, but I feel it’s better than before.

Cheers,
HS
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2015 - 05:36 PM UTC
On to the diorama base.

I used simple air-dry clay in a picture frame, and "drew in" the lines of the cobblestones.

Still a lot of detail work to do on the road surface itself, and I feel I might have over scaled.
(but things can always be changed.)

I'll be doing some groundwork behind the road, so the ridges from the cardboard base shouldn't be visible.

I always hate how the initial phases of making a base
look, but I'll see how things look as they develop layer by layer.

Cheers,
HS
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 02:44 AM UTC
Keep up the good work Paul.

Cheers,
Tom
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had gotten the idea for this project a short time ago, when I saw a photo of an upcoming figure posted on the boards.

The photo below is of my Grandfather, (somewhere in Belgium I've been told).
He served in Europe as a Canadian Infantry Sgt with the Lake Superior Regiment (Motor).
The first time anyone in my extended family saw this photo, we were all watching a video "slideshow".....when the photo came up, everybody kind of looked at Grandpa with a sideways glance.
He gave a smirk, and only said, "War is Hell".
This statement summed up the funny, amazing Grandfather I knew, and I thought re-creating this scene as a 1:35 Diorama might be a fun tribute.

In wishing to recreate this scene, all I needed was a drinking, reclining soldier, and a Half-Track.
Unfortunately, I’m not willing to pay $100-$200 for the kit, plus an extra $50 ish for the figure, so I have to improvise.

I found the old Revell/Monogram M16 Halftrack online, and even though it’s an old kit and rife with inaccuracy to recreate a Canadian halftrack, I’m just going to get it as close as I can to the photo. (Plus it was only $40 including shipping from the States) 

Of course, the twin .50 cal will be omitted, and I’ll mount a .50 on the cab/compartment partition, and a couple M1919s on the sides of the troop compartment.

As for the figure, I decided to “Frankenstein” from various bits, and see what I could come up with.

First up, I took the tank commander from the Tamiya M4, and used careful heating, bending, & clamping to cross one foot over the other, and cut the fella in half.

For the torso, I used the driver figure I had left over from the Tamiya Universal Carrier, but cut off his head as I had a better one in spares.

I cobbled together arms & hands from spares as well.
The beer bottle needs a little more shaping, and will be painted brown.

The kit itself is dead simple, which is fine with me as what I care about are the general details that will match best with the feeling of the original photo.

My biggest issue so far is that the doors are molded with the top half in the “closed” position, but that was easy enough to fix by cutting at the hinge point and re assembling in the “down” position.

I’ve started fabricating the “door port” with some spare PE, but hate how it looks so far, and am still in the initial stages of this portion.

So this is where things have ended up so far……I’d really like to be able to adjust the right arm position to better match the Original photo, but besides that I’m not too upset with how things are turning out.

This weekend, I'm hoping to begin roughing out the diorama base to pull this all together.

Cheers,C[ ]
Hammer Sandwich

If it's a Canadian halftrack, it will likely be a Lend-Lease M5 or M9 halftrack, as built by American Harvester, rather than an M3, as built by White Motor Company. Monogram's front fenders are actually correct for these versions, but the body construction was a different. The rear corners were rounded, not butt-jointed plates at a right angle. These export versions also had fewer screws in the body sides, as they were largely welded. Monogram also has folding upper sides on the passenger compartment, which is simply wrong for any of the troop carrier versions. A Google search will bring up good photos (though the Wikipedia photo for an M5A1 halftrack actually shows an M2A1). Up to you how much time and energy you want to invest in fixing an old kit. Biggest thing is to have fun with your tribute!
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keep up the good work Paul.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks Tom!

Quoted Text

If it's a Canadian halftrack, it will likely be a Lend-Lease M5 or M9 halftrack, as built by American Harvester, Biggest thing is to have fun with your tribute!

Thanks Gerald!
This is one of my big issues with this kit.....it's so wrong that putting the time in to fixing it would pretty much result in scratch-building the darn thing.
(And I possess neither the time, nor skills required for that)

I just kind of threw accuracy to the wind for the sake of the build.

The base has been coming along. I'm still kind of adding things here & there, but it's close to where I can be happy with it.

Some initial posing to see how much work remains to be done.....the angles didn't work out 100% for me, but I'm not sure if I want to be chopping arms & heads off again.

Cheers,
HS
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 12:29 AM UTC
Did some more work on this:

Added some groundwork to the base:

Got the subject placed:

A shot to mimic the original picture this was based on:

Overall, I think I'll call "time of death" on this experiment.
I was hoping to get this good enough to present to my Dad, (Grandpa's son), but with how it all turned out, I'd rather keep it and do the project again with a better figure and vehicle for presentation.

It was a hell of a lot of fun, I didn't think I'd get such pleasing results from such and old Revell kit.
 _GOTOTOP