_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
what's everyones - goto paint for CARC sand.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi guys - I've run into a problem painting my M109A6. My go to paint for US Sand has been Polly-S US Army/Marines Sand. In my eyes it seemed pretty close to the right color. I even stocked up when they went out of business. Unfortunately I am now having all kinds of issues trying to use it. I figured the first problems were due to the jar having been opened for a while, then I tried a new jar and am having the same problems. (The paint is gumming up the airbrush. I tried thinning to varying degrees and i tried different air pressures, but nothing really worked well. I think the paint is just old).

So I think its time to move on, I mean even if i get the Polly-S issues sorted out, I'm going to run out eventually anyway. Hopefully you guys can help me out. What paints and/or mixes do you guys use?

I do happen to have the AK and the Ammo by Mig Modern US armor color, but it seems too "pink" to me. IDK - thoughts?

Thanks for the help.
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 06:48 AM UTC
I prefer Testors Model Master Sand, FS33531. To me, it matches modern CARC sand pretty well.

Here is my Paladin in it from a few months ago.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:09 AM UTC
Thanks Gino! I'll give that a try.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:12 AM UTC
Tamiya Wood Deck Tan.

SprueFarmer
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 09:27 AM UTC
Vallejo Model Air Sand 71075 seems good.
MissAnna
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC
I use the VMA 71075 as well. Been having good luck with all of Vallejo's paints.
barrowb98
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 05:37 AM UTC
What are you thinning the Polly Scale with? Are you using something different than before? Certain types of thinners, especially those with alcohol can cause gumming. Personally, I never could come to terms with Polly Scale and was glad to see them go ;-)

I used Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan (XF-78? Not to be confused with "deck tan" Xf-55) on a weathering demo and it wasn't too bad. Might would have lightened it up a bit if it was for a shelf model.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thank you everyone with your help. Looks like I have a couple of options now. I actually went through and did a comparison of all the paints I have on hand that are potentially CARC sand. I have posted what I have here, hopefully this will help out others.

The colors are labeled my manufacturer in the picture. Here is what they specifically are:

Polly-S US Desert Storm Sand
Vallejo Desert Tan Base Surface Primer
AK122 US Modern Vehicles
Ammo by MIG FS33446 US Modern Vehicles
Life Color FS33594 Desert Storm Sand
Model Master SAND FS33531
Mr Color Yellow FS33531
XtraColor FS13531 Sand

So in the end it looks like I have some options. The Vallejo primer and the life color paint really don't look close, but all the others seem to work pretty good. Unfortunately I can't seem to find Tamiya XF78 and I don't have VMA Sand, but I will keep those in mind also.

Thanks again everyone for your help, and I hope this helps out as well.
Mike
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are you thinning the Polly Scale with? Are you using something different than before? Certain types of thinners, especially those with alcohol can cause gumming. Personally, I never could come to terms with Polly Scale and was glad to see them go ;-)

I used Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan (XF-78? Not to be confused with "deck tan" Xf-55) on a weathering demo and it wasn't too bad. Might would have lightened it up a bit if it was for a shelf model.

Hey Brett - I was using distilled water to thin but I found that my best option was untwined through my Pasche Talon AB with the large needle. Even thinned 20:1 (paint to water) made it too runny. I've had great luck with these paints before, just don't know what the deal is now. At least I've found some options.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP