_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M2A0
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
So , I got a Tamiya M2 with interior, I built this kit ages ago and it seemed great for the time and my skill set. So I thought I would build one using the after market references available.
I have asked before if the Meng M3A3 interior set would be useful, I was told parts of the turret might be. Well, I got the set and I manged to get a hold of Eduards interior photo etch set as well. So far I have been able to make good use of both plus a bit of scratch building and I've come up with this

After looking at my references back dating the Meng's interior and using it for a M2 wasn't too hard. I plan on using the engine and opening the hatch for it.

sorry for the bad picture, I'll take some better ones before I close up the interior.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 03:52 AM UTC
I like it. There are some subtle differences in the old turret, but most of it goes unseen. I'm doing a few of these myself, but only with the Meng engines, not nearly as involved as what you ar doing. I would suggest Legend wheels if you don't use the Meng wheels.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 07:02 AM UTC
Looks like you are off to a great start. I'll be watching this one.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like it. There are some subtle differences in the old turret, but most of it goes unseen. I'm doing a few of these myself, but only with the Meng engines, not nearly as involved as what you ar doing. I would suggest Legend wheels if you don't use the Meng wheels.

I never thought about aftermaket wheels, I using Friulmodel tracks and I was going to rob the drive sprocket off a old MLRS kit.
I know some details won't be 100% correct, but it will be close and a big improvement over the original kit.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you are off to a great start. I'll be watching this one.

I'll start taking pictures with a real camera and try to do some updates on my progress, hope I don't disappoint.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I was going to rob the drive sprocket off a old MLRS kit.

Doing the same with my MLRS kits. Gotta thin THAT stash somehow. You might take a look at those AFV Club tracks as well. Can't wait to see some more photos.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 09:09 AM UTC
Once I started digging into the kit, I discovered so much that can be done to it. My brother was in the 3rd Infantry in 88-90 and crewed the M2, I'm building it for him, but its going to stay in my display case!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
Vince,
Have you seen my walk around of the M2A0+ I had while I was a technician with the Texas Army National Guard.

My M2A0+ Walk Around
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vince,
Have you seen my walk around of the M2A0+ I had while I was a technician with the Texas Army National Guard.

My M2A0+ Walk Around

Yes, I found them a week ago and they have been very helpful. I'm also using the Verliden M2/M3 book as well.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:45 AM UTC
Time for an update. I got the inteior painted and I guld the upper hull on. With the mods I did the the Tamiya parts, I had to gule it and it will never one again. I may not have done every little detail, but I think I improved on the interior a good be.

Now that I have that part out of the way, I started working on the drive train,Since I planed on lifting up the skirt around the idler wheel, I took parts from a MLRS kit to detail the area and I took the drive sprocket as well. I know there are two shock absorbers on the first two wheels, but they will be hidden ,so I will pass on them.

more to come............
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 06:49 AM UTC
I like what you're doing with it. You may or may not know this yet, but the Meng kit has extra idler mounts (A13 and A15) which look much better than those MLRS parts.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I like what you're doing with it. You may or may not know this yet, but the Meng kit has extra idler mounts (A13 and A15) which look much better than those MLRS parts.

If I had the Meng kit, I would use it. It was just out of my budget so I'm working with what I got.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 05:18 AM UTC
I was off work today, so I got to spend the day in the shop. I got a lot done on the Bradley, so here is and update...

I spent some time on the side skirts today adding handles and steps to the skirts. I made each one out of a staple.

Then I added the hatches,

Next up I did the anti slip coating, I made it with fine sand sprinkled on a mixture of wood glue and water, then sealed with dullcoat. (why am I getting hungry explaining that?)

Now this may take awhile............
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC
Don't the Friul tracks come with a decent drive sprocket? Do they even fit the Dragon one? At least for the 'Bigfoot' tracks, I thought the Friul sprocket was much better looking than Dragon's attempt.

Jim
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't the Friul tracks come with a decent drive sprocket? Do they even fit the Dragon one? At least for the 'Bigfoot' tracks, I thought the Friul sprocket was much better looking than Dragon's attempt.

Jim

Yes, it does, But the sprocket that comes in the Friul Tracks is a cast metal copy of the Dragon MLRS sprocket with some bolt details on the back on the inner halves that really won't be seen. I should have taken pictures before I guled then together. I went with the Dragon ones because I also was going to use the idler wheel from the MLRS too, so the detail level is the same on both ends.

On a side note, I'm going to pass on the Legend Bradley wheels, I found something that bugged me.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Si0AAMXQUmFSnbZb/s-l500.jpg
it you look bettween the 10 and 12 o'clock positions, you'll see the bolt pattern is kinda off. Silly little thing, I know, but enough to drive me nuts.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
Looking very nice. I know the Legend wheels (let's call them old school Legend) do have that flaw, but it's not a silly little thing for you not to not want them. I simply want to use them as the old Bradleys I'm depicting had gravel, water, even plants in those interior lips.

By the way, now that I rechecked my photos, there are MARKED, not subtle, differences between Meng's newer turret interior and the older M2A0 turret interior. I don't want to overwhelm you, so PM me if you'd like to see the differences.

MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC
Yes, I know there are differences between the A2 and A0 turrent interior. But I try to change and correct as much as I can with the Eduads pe set and some scratch building according to my references. It may not be 100% but it some detail in the open hatches.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 09:51 AM UTC
oh speaking of the Eduard's photo etch sets the the M2, I now they are hard to find. I found the exterior set on Ebay for 12 bucks, I got and opened the package and it had the interior set in it, which is what I really was hoping the find, down side is it only had on fret of the exterior parts.
Today I don't have any photo updates, but I did work on putting it together. Right now, it just basic assembly now, I hope to start painting it tomorrow or Sunday.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
Looking good so far. I like how the Meng parts fit easily into the Tamiya hulls. I just started a backdate of the Meng M3A3 into an OIF 1 M2A2 ODS as well. I am using parts from both Academy's and Tamiya's M2A2 kit on it. Your and Rob's M2A0 builds spurred me along to starting mine. I'll be watching to see how yours comes out.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:06 PM UTC
The Meng interior was a tight fit, I did have the shave a bit off the firewall in the driver's compartment. A the floor had to be files just a bit to get it to fit in the Tamiya lower hull.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:31 AM UTC
Just a little update today. I finished up the finial details ( at least all my skills would allow me to do) and I started painting. I'm going to go with overall dark green for this one so I can do a reforger diorama later on.
I didn't take any photos since I'm very bad about taking in progress photos. After painting and weathering I'm going to have to take a break and order another set of tracks. Sadly I lots a a whole run of track from when I bought them over a year ago.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 12:57 AM UTC
I got a lot done today, I did some more painting and took care of painting some small details.

I still ave a few things to add and some weathering to do. I going to get that done and set it aside and wait on my tracks to get here.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
This week I tackled the tracks, As I mentioned before I wanted to use the Friul tracks. I got them on Monday and spent the week drilling them out and assembling them. I drilled them out and used a thicker wire so the links would be tighter.
I tired some different with the cast metal tracks. Instead of painting them , I went to the local gun shop and bought some gun bluing liquid since paint would chip. There was a product called Blacken it, but its not made any more. I'm very happy with the results.

as you can see on the right, two extra likes that wasn't treated and you can see the difference it makes.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC
Any updates on this? How did it turn out?
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any updates on this? How did it turn out?

THanks for asking, I did take a bit of a break to work on other things, but I have a model show on the 2nd I'd like to get it ready for.
There are two things I need to do, I have to finish the Antenna and I'd like to make some Refroger markings for it, something different then the Tamiya kit.

I still think the base needs something more, I'm trying to figure out how the make a tree out of what I have in the shop. I'll take better pictures soon.
Also I have this to wrap up on...
 _GOTOTOP