_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Question about Mr Color products
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:45 AM UTC
I noticed there are three types of Mr Color paints...

# The Mr Hobby Color Acrylics
# The Aqueous color acrylics
# The Aqueous Acrysion acrylics

What is the difference between these three types of paint?

Also, is the Airbrush Leveling Thinner a special type of thinner, and which of the three types of paint is it used with?

Hisham
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:38 AM UTC
I cannot comment on the acrylics, but I can tell you that the "Mr.Color Leveling Thinner" is fabulous for airbrushing Tamiya acrylics - indeed better than either of the two types of Tamiya thinners. It apparently contains a retarder that dramatically improves flow, even in a tiny tipped Custom Micron airbrush. It leaves a very smooth surface, almost satin . . . but still matt. I highly recommend it.
WildBill1941
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi Hisham,

Mr Color is not acrylic paint, but solvent based. These are lacquers. Gives you durable finish, sprays well with Mr Color leveling thinner. But requires well ventilated room, because it smells an like any solvent based paint hazardous.

AQUEOUS is a kind of acrylics /similar to Tamiya, but completely different than Vallejo/. It has a specific AQUEOUS COLOR THINNER, but working very well with Mr Color leveling thinner. Gives you durable finish as well. It is not a real water based acrylics, so well ventilated room required as well.

Acrysion. Relatively new line, I have no experience with them. The specs saying that can be diluted with tap water /this is new compared to the above 2 types/, but has a specific ACRYSION THINNER as well. Can not be diluted with Mr Color or Mr Aqueous thinner. It is recommended for both brush and airbrush painting, while the Mr Color and Aqueous is for airbrush mainly.

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, guys.

Hisham
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:12 PM UTC
You may need to know their Leveling Thinner works equally well with Mr.Hobby and Aqueous Color ranges, as well as with Tamiya paints.
jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 07:51 AM UTC
Here's a quick rundown on how I use them

Mr. Color - Lacquer based paint which is thinned by either Levelling Thinner or Mr. Color Thinner. Levelling thinner works best.

Mr. Hobby Color Aqueous - Solvent based acrylic similar to tamiya (not a true acrylic). Uses Mr. Hobby aqueous thinner (teal and blue color bottle) which is similar to IPA or tamiya X-20A. You can also use the lacquer thinners on this one.

Mr. Hobby Color Acrysion - Semi solvent based similar to aqueous but this is marketed to have a more environment friendly formulation, probably because of import/export/environment regulations. It has its own Acrysion Thinner (white and blue-ish bottle). My local store mentioned not to use other thinners for acrysion aside from their own so I have always used the acrysion thinner. So far performance is similar to aqueous.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
I haven't used much of the Mr Color range but have used a lot of the Mr Hobby paints & actually prefer them to some of their Tamiya equivalents for brush painting. Better consistency after thinning & the pigments don't break or clump up as much. Since I found bottles of IPA at my big-box hardware store for half the price of Tamiya or Gunze branded thinners, I haven't looked back
 _GOTOTOP