_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A7V Driver and Commander Entry
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
I am currently working on Meng's A7V Tank and looking to add some scratches to the exterior of the tank. My question is how did the driver and Commander enter their cab? Did they climb to the top of the tank, open the Commanders cab top, front and back hatches and then take their seats? Did the Commander and driver enter the tank like the rest of the crew, through the doors, and then somehow climb into the driver's cab? My Logic being, if crews used the method of climbing onto the top of the tank to gain entrance to cab, then I will add some boot scratches and so forth around the Command cab and leading to it. I have looked at some books and searched the internet and was not able to find a answer, unless I over looked the answer.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
After look tru some pics, I say, that the superstructure was folded down for transporting the tank on railroad, I seems hardly practicable to fold down the superstructure to get the commander and driver in. I think the entered their stations from below. But you can add scratches and bootmarks anyway the crews travelled on top of the tank to the frontlines.
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
OK, thanks for taking the time to do some additional research. I have read a lot of material and looked a 100's of pictures and cannot find a definitive answer. I know where the mechanics stood did allow access to the Commander's cab, but it would have been a tight fit to squeeze up through this opening to the cab. I have seen photo's of the A7V travelling with the Commander cab completely open while the crew is sitting in the cab, but nothing showing or explaining how they got into the cab. So I will go with just random scratches I guess. Also, would you know if there was a ladder or some device carried in the tank to allow the crew to get to the top or did they just improvise?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 12:34 AM UTC
No expert, but, from looking at drawings of the interior, it seems there was a space on either side of the engine allowing passage between the front and rear compartments. It looks to be a bit more than the width of the tracks, and could allow access to the driver's platform above the engine.

Admittedly, it would be a tight squeeze, but I think it would make more sense to have another way to enter or exit than just through the top hatch, especially under fire. Al
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 06:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
I guess you can the small quandary I have with question. I also feel the best way to get to the cab was from the walkway on both sides of the tank, but I cannot nail down a definite answer, which is odd. I guess the small amount of A7V's that were actually made makes definite answers hard to find. Thanks again for all your help.
 _GOTOTOP