_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tips for Making,Tarps, Canvas,Tent Cloth etc
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC

Here is a pretty effective way to make some pretty versatile material that can be used for tent cloth, canvas, tarpaline, Rolled bedrolls, etc. Take some nylon stocking, bought or borrowed :-), and cut off a leg. Slit the leg down the length and you have a snake skin looking piece of nylon stocking. Ok, then stretch the nylon material over an old coffe can or something similar, or a rectangular tupperware box or whatever. Then paint the nylon material with liquid latex. When it dries you have a very thin, rubbery cloth, with the look ( scale) of poplin or canvas. Obviously you then have to air brush or hand brush on the color you want , either camo, or Olive drab. This would make a great scale Vetnam era poncho. It reminds me of that material.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:59 AM UTC
hhm I think you've got a latex/rubber fetish #:-)

good tip any chance of seeing some piccies of the canvas ect made this way

cheers mike
druiddogzz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:04 AM UTC
Sure, I made a round piece to try out the idea I will take a picture of it and post it in a few minutes in my gallery section Ok. The material is very thin. The trick is to pre-stretch it, then the resultant material is basically just a tiny bit thicker then the nylon material itself.
 _GOTOTOP