Hosted by Darren Baker
Ace RSO
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC

the wheels and sprockets didnt line up so i modded the bogies to get everything lined up.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
planned use for it

erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
Oh my God,
It comes an Ace ..

You have to fix the sprocket...

Good luck
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh my God,
It comes an Ace ..

You have to fix the sprocket...

Good luck

Yes i have now found they are to wide. The last thing i did at work ladt night before my weekend was fix the sprockets in place. So next week will tackle the pe tracks.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
my first time with photoetch tracks. it wasnt to difficult but the camera and yellow tape sure make the goofs stand out.

also did the lazy thing and comped off the sprocket teeth
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:07 AM UTC
Made good progress tonight. Got the doors and windshield frame on, straightened up the cabs rear wall, and repaired the exhaust pipes that ran to the muffler that got broken off. Got started on new side board slats for the cargo bed. These will be .020 to replace the .040 ace parts.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:19 AM UTC
ok i got impatient and shot some paint on it tonight
Powder
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:43 PM UTC
I must admit I'd never heard of an RSO before you started this thread, so thanks for the education

I've heard mixed reviews of ACE models, and obviously the sprockets are a problem with this kit. Have there been many other issues?

The photo-etch tracks look great and well worth your effort but you're possibly pleased you're not building this version:
http://militarymodels.co.nz/2012/09/05/heres-an-interesting-steyr-rso-conversion/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must admit I'd never heard of an RSO before you started this thread, so thanks for the education

I've heard mixed reviews of ACE models, and obviously the sprockets are a problem with this kit. Have there been many other issues?

The photo-etch tracks look great and well worth your effort but you're possibly pleased you're not building this version:
http://militarymodels.co.nz/2012/09/05/heres-an-interesting-steyr-rso-conversion/#utm_source=feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feed

Thanks for the input.
The tracks were fairly easy to work with, a couple seconds with the map gas torch and they were annealed to dead soft. I think I would rather work with them than a bunch of tiny seperate links
(maco sws).
Particular to the rso, after i narrowed the sprockets, i had to use i think .040 stock added to the final drives to kick the sprockets back out in alignment with the road wheels, which i had already brought in closer to the chassis. I have another rso, and will narrow the sprockets first,to make sure i'm just not working in circles.
The rest of the kit would have went together no problem i believe, as its basically 2 boxes, the van body and the hard cab. But when i saw it came with the cargo body i decided to convert it to a convertible.
Ace kits will not just fall together. The 12.8 cm k41 was built oob, with a couple detalis added. The others I have worked on i have sunk a bunch of hours into. Luckily i can do this at my job.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 11:26 PM UTC
Was busy at work most of sat night, but managed to slice and dice a ceaser sws bed i had to replace the ace part.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 11:22 AM UTC
The windshield glass will get installed and this one is done i think.
Thanks for looking.
O, forgot the door handles.

Powder
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:24 PM UTC
That's looking great.

Did the stowage come with the kit?
I'm always on the look out for 1/72 or 1/76 accessories and the gear in the back of the RSO looks good quality.

I've recently ordered some equipment sets from Friendship Models and Planet Models but I haven't seen work from either company up close. Hopefully there'll be something in the sets worthy of adding to my Firefly diorama.
truelove
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
Thanks.
Mostly its 'value gear'..he sells on ebay and also has a site.
A couple of pieces are from an 'attack' set.

_GOTOTOP