_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Harley-Davidson WLA
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC
Steve Brodie builds a really tiny MiniArt kit - a Harley-Davidson WLA.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
LCB248
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC
Thanks Stevebodie, nice review. Thinking what these couriers had to put up with during the winter of 44/45...brrrrr.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
I'm in the midst of building the MP version of this Miniart kit, and have discovered too late that in Step 2, the four pieces of etched brass are being formed to shape on a single plastic molding part. Since there is no text for the instructions, I took it to mean that the four pieces should be superglued to the forming part, although it didn't make sense to me at the time.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
So, now I am without the four brass pieces that I suspect are all for constructing the front fender supports and equipment boxes on the front end. And I certainly don't want to lay out another 30-some odd dollars for another Miniart kit just for a single small sheet of brass. Grrrrr
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC
Ouch! You could try to free the PE from the plastic by chucking it in the freezer in the hope that the glue will break free through differential contraction of the brass & plastic. (Same goes with using heat, but the plastic form would not survive if you applied the soldering iron to the brass...)

Having just built these same parts I would cut some new ones from plastic strip - it's a LOT easier than trying to assemble the PE with superglue! There wasn't any real positive alignment between parts, so it was a case of trial and error. They could have provided these brackets as a single PE part instead...
brodiebear
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
Have to agree, the brass parts for the fender are a nightmare to align up, all very hit and miss, so much easier if they supplied as a single part each side with grooves for bend locations. Ended up glueing the pieces to the wheel arch and then holding all tight with tape till they had set.
 _GOTOTOP