_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gulf War Challenger
MG42_Gunner
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hey guys

i just brought the tamiya 1/35 challanger tank from my favourite hobby shop (hobbyrama) when i was in the latter part of my school holidays. anyways the reason i brought this excellent AFV was because i also purchased (at a great price) the verlinden gulf war conversion kit for the challanger.

all i was wondering is what do u think i should paint my tank, all i have to work with is Testors Gulf US Armour Sand. and the only other paints i can get are tamiya or humbrol as i live in a place far far away from any decent hobby stores (toys'r'us being the only "hobby store") , so wat should i do? Is Gulf US Armour Sand accurate enougth or is their a British sand colour out there?

anyways, thanks alot and i'll catch yas all later
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:30 AM UTC
tamiya light yellow is a good match for the colour,

not sure about the one you mention though

cheers

joe
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is Gulf US Armour Sand accurate enougth or is their a British sand colour out there?

I think US color will be too tan. British color was more yellow. I think Joe's suggestion is a good one - Tamiya light yellow may be better indeed. And if you want the most accurate color you can try to get Gulf Armour Light Stone (BS 361) paint from White Ensign Models. It is based on autentic paint chips from British armor. You can order it directly from WEM: http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/

Regards,
Pawel
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:42 AM UTC
The color of British vehicles varied a bit from Op. Granby to Op. Telic... If you are refering to Gulf War 2, the color is definately more yellowish.

Vodnik, have you used Gulf Armour Light Stone? White Ensign Models doesn't have any color chart on their website...

Mario M.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vodnik, have you used Gulf Armour Light Stone? White Ensign Models doesn't have any color chart on their website...

No, I haven't yet. I have a can of this paint, but have not tried it on any model yet.

Rgds,
Pawel
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
MG,

Since you have the Tamiya tank, you're limited to the 1991 Gulf War. I'd go with the Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow, lightened with a tougch of white for scale effect.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MG,

Since you have the Tamiya tank, you're limited to the 1991 Gulf War.

no you arent,

the tamiya kit provides enough parts to build either a gulf war vehicle, ones serving in the balkans, or germany or britain based tanks

you could build it as a BATUS OPfor vehicle also,

cheers

joe
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
If he has the Tamiya kit...either the Challanger Mk1 or Mk3...then he is limited to the first Gulf War...in fact the British only had the Mk3 varient of the Challanger 1 in DS1.

DS2 the British soley had the Challanger II, which is not the same kit as either of the Tamiya kits.

If you want to do a DS2 Challanger, you are better off to get the new Trumpeter offering of the Telic Operation Challanger II
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi there
I use Humbrol no 93 for all my operation Granby kits.
hth
Pete
MG42_Gunner
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC

I think Joe's suggestion is a good one - Tamiya light yellow may be better indeed.

Umm, what exactly did you mean by tamiya light yellow??? i don't think they produce a "light yellow"

thanks
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
sorry its xf-60 dark yellow
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry its xf-60 dark yellow

Right! That's the paint I was thinking about as well.

Rgds,
Pawel
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
I have been working in the imaging industry for 15 years. I have to tell you guys that it is NOT possible to judge a color on a photo. It is even more difficult to judge it with printings.

Most images I've seen of the OP-Telic or OIF, do shown yellowish tone on the Challengers.
But judging from the color of the background, such as sky color, I should say the color of these images are not properly "cablibrated". Of course it is not possible for a photographer to serious color calibration in the field, and photo-journalists don't do much color calibration anyway, the color you see is not precise.

From various sources, such as instructions of AA resin kits, the color used should be sand, instead of dark yellow or desert yellow. But I don't have a clue what tone of sand it is precisely.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:39 AM UTC
whilst what you say is a good point, the colour in the picture is very close to what they are in real life.

for weeks prior to the gulf conflict, i saw loads of vehicles from land rovers going down the M1 to train loads of warriors, the colour did vary from vehicle to vehicle, but they were still more of a yellow colour.

cheers

joe
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

MG,

Since you have the Tamiya tank, you're limited to the 1991 Gulf War.

no you arent,

the tamiya kit provides enough parts to build either a gulf war vehicle, ones serving in the balkans, or germany or britain based tanks

you could build it as a BATUS OPfor vehicle also,

cheers

joe

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear. The previous posters were leading one to believe that the kit could have been buil for Op Tellic. Especialy as the discussion was going toward desert sand colors (not something used in NORTHAG, KFOR/SFOR, etc)
 _GOTOTOP