_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M60A2 REFORGER decals
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hello everyone, I just received Academy's M60A2 and I'd like to depict one that was used during a REFORGER exercise. I have search the web for some but was unable to find anything. I vaguely recall Verlinden Productions making a set but was unable to come up with anything.

Does anyone know if some decals were made by a manufacturer at some point?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 07:19 PM UTC
Here's a related thread :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/211838&page=1

and here's the Verlinden set #335 :

H.P.
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:02 PM UTC
Merci Henri-Pierre,

Looks like my research weren't done properly!

Christian
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 08:18 PM UTC
Hi Christian,
this link:

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/ArmoredCav/USAREUR_Armd%20Cav.htm

can help you determine which units used the Starship here in Germany.

HRH
Hans-Hermann
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Christian,
this link:

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?http&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/ArmoredCav/USAREUR_Armd%20Cav.htm

can help you determine which units used the Starship here in Germany.

HRH
Hans-Hermann

Danke Hans-Hermann :-)

Christian
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:54 PM UTC
Hi Christian, sometimes life is easy for a modeler. In almost all ReForGer FTX's the unit indications were covered. By mud, by tape. Since in those days SOXMIS (headed by USSR military staff) units were allowed to be between the NATO units, it should help (a bit?) to conceal the NATO organization structures. So you may leave them off in case you may not find them. Units were marked by big red crosses in case they played the agressor role. These were made by tape or painted on big plates.

You may find more on Google about the SOXMIS purpose and background.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC
Please keep in mind that Verlinden set is a peel and stick, sticker set, not a waterslide decal set.
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:47 AM UTC
@Paul: Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

@James: Yep, and I think I got a set at home. Not sure it was the greatest idea of all time, but it looks like it was following the way the real ones were applied!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi James,
In case the call numbers were used they were in many cases taped with (green) duck tape.
So, all together, one should not bother too much about the way these plates were attached or even how since they were distributed some days before the start of the exercise and each crew attached them more or less to their own ideas. Main goal: visible from a distance.
But after days in a 'real life environment', read: in the West Germany's villages, fields and cities, not seldomly during bad weather (autumn was the most frequent used part of the year for FTX's!) these plates started a life on their own. Being (partialy) ripped off, lost or covered by mud or other camouflage materials from the fields.
So, artist freedom all over!
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:28 AM UTC
@Paul: Thank for the info.

Christian
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James,
In case the call numbers were used they were in many cases taped with (green) duck tape.
So, all together, one should not bother too much about the way these plates were attached or even how since they were distributed some days before the start of the exercise and each crew attached them more or less to their own ideas. Main goal: visible from a distance.
But after days in a 'real life environment', read: in the West Germany's villages, fields and cities, not seldomly during bad weather (autumn was the most frequent used part of the year for FTX's!) these plates started a life on their own. Being (partialy) ripped off, lost or covered by mud or other camouflage materials from the fields.
So, artist freedom all over!

Hi Paul, I know, was on tanks for a wee bit, lol. Guess I was just trying to point out they just were not water slide. (That's me with the guidon) bad iPhone pic of a pic.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hi James,

Those were the days!
Nowadays,train loads of the good old M109's are gone, replaced by a very effectiv handful computurized PzFH 2000's. Dutch tank units are history, or at least reduced to parts of German battalions.....
We're getting old, remembering 14 days driving through Germany with Several hundreds of AFV's from the UK, USA, West Germany and what else was there.

_GOTOTOP