_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
undercutting figures
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:39 PM UTC
I know I posted before on how to accomplish this but this figure I am starting is a good learning tool maybe? Very accentuated clothing details.

The stock figure in all of its' sartorial splendor. Antique Historex civilian. A rather portly gentleman.

And after about 2 hours of exacto blade work. Hopefully the pics will show the work.

Still lots to do but you can see a marked improvement around the tie and collar,etc?
J
ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Jerry. I really like how the inner lapel is now truly free and loose. Very nice undercutting. Just an Xacto knife or do you use other tools!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
Thanks buddy! I used a number 11 blade and a fiberglass brush for clean-up. I have to change blades about 4 times so far as the tips don't last.I will have to gt out my dremel to re-shape the vest area,etc.
Thanks for checking in man.
J
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hey Jerry. I remembered this from you and someone else, can't remember his name but I do this to all my figures now and it really makes a differance. Detail like pockets and flaps, also straps show up so much clearer.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
WOW! So, this is what the old saying, "make a silk purse from a sow's ear" meant. Nice stuff ! A little extra effort turns something tolerable into 3D art. Thanks for sharing !
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 05:35 AM UTC
Nice work Jerry. I use scalpel blades (#11 and #15?) for my undercutting, they last a lot longer because they have a bit of flex and you don't need to use as much pressure. The curved blade is great for folds and free handing seam lines. Surprisingly affordable to boot!

Kimmo
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 07:11 AM UTC
impressive! looks like an entirely different mold!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC
Thats an excellent showcase of your under-cutting work Jerry- thanks for sharing it with us.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
Thanks for checking in and typing your comments guys!!! I like this olf Historex plastic as it's pretty soft,like the newer Miniart and MB stuff is. Easy to cut but you also have to be very careful because of it.
J
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW! So, this is what the old saying, "make a silk purse from a sow's ear" meant. Nice stuff ! A little extra effort turns something tolerable into 3D art. Thanks for sharing !

To be fair, the HISTOREX Figurines were using the finest 1960's technology available in the figure-makers' art. I've been building, cleaning up and painting HISTOREX figurines since about 1970. Back in the "old days", you could buy individual HISTOREX figurines on foot for about $5 bucks, or so. I've always been intrigued by the nearly infinite variety of color and style of the Napoleonic Era! It's great to see that someone is posting this kind of thing on this site!

You'd be surprised what some careful undercutting can do for any plastic or resin figure. A sharp X-Acto or similar hobby knife, some very fine sandpaper and a steady hand are essential in creating these mini-masterpieces!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know I posted before on how to accomplish this but this figure I am starting is a good learning tool maybe? Very accentuated clothing details.

The stock figure in all of its' sartorial splendor. Antique Historex civilian. A rather portly gentleman.

And after about 2 hours of exacto blade work. Hopefully the pics will show the work.

Still lots to do but you can see a marked improvement around the tie and collar,etc?
J

Perhaps a tiny bit of undercutting on this Bourgeois Gentleman's coat lapels, pocket flaps, cuffs? GREAT WORK so far! Here I thought I was the only one on this site that has in interest in these kinds of subjects! Personally, I'm SICK TO DEATH of seeing the same old pointing SS Officers and Machine Gun Crews...

PS- Dentists' Picks work quite nicely in certain applications, too!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Perhaps a tiny bit of undercutting on this Bourgeois Gentleman's coat lapels, pocket flaps, cuffs? GREAT WORK so far! Here I thought I was the only one on this site that has in interest in these kinds of subjects! Personally, I'm SICK TO DEATH of seeing the same old pointing SS Officers and Machine Gun Crews...

I feel you pain!! I needed to do something outside of the box and may introduce this kind of thing on a more permanent basis. I was trying to do a German and then an allied subject and then repeat but maybe add a civilian one to make it,Allied,German,civilian and repeat??

I have used my dremel with small ball cutting bits a lot as well. Didn't get there with this dude yet. I took about 20 pounds of scale flesh off this guys' face so far as well. Thanks Dennis, for the useful and supportive comments!
J
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

I feel you pain!! I needed to do something outside of the box and may introduce this kind of thing on a more permanent basis. I was trying to do a German and then an allied subject and then repeat but maybe add a civilian one to make it,Allied,German,civilian and repeat??

I have used my dremel with small ball cutting bits a lot as well. Didn't get there with this dude yet. I took about 20 pounds of scale flesh off this guys' face so far as well. Thanks Dennis, for the useful and supportive comments!
J

You're very welcome! At this point, I don't have a digital camera or smartphone, otherwise I'd have posted my work a long time ago... I'll be following this thread with great interest!

PS- Have you tried the MASTER BOX "Move, move, move!!!" US Soldiers, Operation Overlord period, 1944, yet? Beautiful PLASTIC figure set!!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

J

You're very welcome! At this point, I don't have a digital camera or smartphone, otherwise I'd have posted my work a long time ago... I'll be following this thread with great interest!

PS- Have you tried the MASTER BOX "Move, move, move!!!" US Soldiers, Operation Overlord period, 1944, yet? Beautiful PLASTIC figure set!!!

Haven't bought those yet but this is my last MB piece. Very soft plastic and a whole lot of carving to get the feminine face looking more well...feminine!

J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:29 PM UTC
Ahh yes,
pwease sho uss moh, sensei!

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh yes,
pwease sho uss moh, sensei!

Hopefully soon Ron! The weather has turned a bit warm so I have to try to complete some unfinished outside tasks around here!! Cannot anger SWMBO!!!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2015 - 02:20 AM UTC
gentleman needs a hat

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:08 AM UTC
Got some more carving done of the lower part of this guy and also shaped the hat a bit more. It's getting there. The primer helps to spot problems as I go along.
J

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:05 PM UTC
Refereshing to see such a figure come to life after all the armor.
Which reminds me I need to show my go at a figure you might be familiar with. Never say die?
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I remembered this from you and someone else, can't remember his name ...

I know that Vinnie Branigan, who used to staff here for several years did this a lot, perhaps it was him?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I think you may be talking about Andy Evans? He also does this,plus a lot more.
J
 _GOTOTOP