_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Karl Mörser in Sevastopol, early or late?
Panzerfan
Visit this Community
Mexico
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hello:

I want to build a Karl Mörser that took action during the Sevastopol siege. I have the Trumpeter kit which have the option of early or late chassis, but I can´t find references of which one was used there. Hope someone can give me some advise about it.

Best regards.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC
Seems like only the first two,"Adam"and"Eva" had the early.Also I think they were only used for training,so I would go with the late type.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hi. According to the Tank Power book, numbers II, III and IV were deployed at Sevastopol, while the Panzer Tracts book is non specific about which three were used. Tank Power states that only number I had the early chassis, in fact it is somewhat contradictory in that it says I and II were built with early wheel type, but II was modified later to the late type - that seems a bit unlikely, does it? Panzer Tracts says that numbers I and II both had early chassis. Part of the problem may be that there are few if any photos that definitely show II at any early or middle stage of the war, however Tracts includes photos of a Karl that has the early chassis captured by US forces, which it states is no. II.

So that means at least if you choose to represent nos. III or IV then you are safe going with the late chassis. Presumably you're not planning on building all three!

You need to use the short 600mm gun tube, and paint it grey. Tank Power claims that in this operation they were over painted with stripes of dark yellow over the grey, but not sure what evidence there is for that; it has a photo of one which has been daubed with mud and which it says is at Sevastopol, but the same photo appears in Tracts labelled as being in action at Brest. I would go with the Tracts info - the Power book has at least some other obvious errors relating to return rollers where the number given in their table is clearly contradicted by the photo evidence.
Panzerfan
Visit this Community
Mexico
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2015 - 09:17 AM UTC
Thanks for your responses guys!! So, we'll go for the late one

Cheers!!
 _GOTOTOP