_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF APC PUMA (Hobby Boss)
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Just wanted to pass along what a very good friend told me happened to a shipment of the Hobby Boss (83868) IDF APC PUMA which arrived in America. My friend manages a hobby shop and he was told by his supplier that when the shipment arrived at the port, customs open the shipping crate and destroyed all of these kits. No explaination. Anyone know why this may have happen?
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:29 AM UTC
Christmas presents!
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:34 AM UTC
wait...what? destroyed?
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wanted to pass along what a very good friend told me happened to a shipment of the Hobby Boss (83868) IDF APC PUMA which arrived in America. My friend manages a hobby shop and he was told by his supplier that when the shipment arrived at the port, customs open the shipping crate and destroyed all of these kits. No explaination. Anyone know why this may have happen?

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call BS on this. Firstly customs MUST give a reason for destroying imported products. they also need probable cause as to why, like the styrene used doesn't meet consumer standards for N America. So unless Hobbyboss suddenly started using inferior plastic i don't see a reason. And if it was only that one kit then someone has a personal beef and then there will be repercussions.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to call BS on this. Firstly customs MUST give a reason for destroying imported products. they also need probable cause as to why, like the styrene used doesn't meet consumer standards for N America. So unless Hobbyboss suddenly started using inferior plastic i don't see a reason. And if it was only that one kit then someone has a personal beef and then there will be repercussions.

IF it is BS then blame my supply contact at MMD/Squadron Signal because that is exactly what he told me when I followed up on my pre order of stock for our store..

He said the entire stock of this model kit was removed from the shipment bound for them and destroyed, crushed I think were his exact words. I will follow up and see if I can get a clearer explanation but I would like to assure you I don't spread BS. My job is to order and sell stuff, not create problems for anyone. And I was looking for this kit myself.

My second distributor (Stevens International) doesn't have it and my third, Great Planes (Tower to the public) said shipments had been delayed ?

Unless you know something substantial and have a definitive answer about this kit and shipments to US distributor network, perhaps it would be better for you to wait and see before announcing your BS theory!

Keith.
momcha
Visit this Community
Nis, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hello, I have received my sample (Serbia/Europe). It looks like everything is OK with this model. BTW, what is BS?
Hellrabbit
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
AKA crap
momcha
Visit this Community
Nis, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:41 AM UTC
thanks
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
maybe Customs is as bad as the Post Office ? ..... not crushed on purpose just a clumsy worker fell on the box or drove over it with his forklift ?
ambrose
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
you can find them on ebay, just received mine from a ebay seller.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 02:19 AM UTC
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago.

I purchased a kit on evay from a Canadian seller. The kit was the Trumpeter JGSDF NBC Detection Vehicle. On the customs declaration form that is stuck to the outside of the box, the seller wrote, "NBC Detection Vehicle".

So, of course Customs opened it up to inspect what the heck THAT is. The seller should have written something like, " plastic scale model kit " etc.

The box was re-taped with Customs tape and the condition of the upper hull was smashed when I finally received it, (A-pillars collapsed). It looked like they took out every sprue out of the box then repacked it unsuccessfully.

I don't know if this same thing happen to keef1648's case but it sounds similar

Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 03:38 AM UTC
I work in the Canadian shipping industry and from my experience, the usual situation where customs would purposely destroy cargo quickly is if the cargo contained pests of some kind. The other possibility of damaged caused by Customs is from pure recklessness when they destuff the container to examine. But I would imagine CBP is like CBSA, they have a professional warehouse do the destuffing work for them. However, from my own experience where CBSA came to our facility to inspect some cargo, some officers are kind of rough on how they open items to examine. Usually there is a process to go through before customs would destroy cargo (unless there is a pest infestation). If there is a regulatory violation, the importer should have a period of time to appeal or fix it. Also there is the option to send things back to the shipper.

_GOTOTOP