_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng or Takom Whippet..what's best?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
Been thinking of buying a Whippet (not a dog) but was wondering what's best?

As far as I can see there's not much difference between the kits. They both seem to have indie links etc but the Meng kit is quite a bit cheaper.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Been thinking of buying a Whippet (not a dog) but was wondering what's best?

As far as I can see there's not much difference between the kits. They both seem to have indie links etc but the Meng kit is quite a bit cheaper.

There are comparative build reviews on Osprey Modelling News. Here's the link. The author likes the Meng kit a bit more.
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/12/build-review-pt-ii-andys-mengs-135th.html#more
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC
I can't speak to the Takom Whippet, but I'm currently building the Meng offering. It's been a pleasure to build and has no vices to speak of. The only spot to be careful is bending the upper superstructure pieces. That being said, they fit well once bent and the whole kit is excellently detailed. I was able to get it together and ready to paint in 3 days of part time building. If you go with Meng, you won't be disappointed. Of course, now I want to build Takom's offering so I can compare! Lol
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC
Do the track links break apart easily after you snap them together? This has been a failing of some previous Meng kits.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do the track links break apart easily after you snap them together? This has been a failing of some previous Meng kits.

I've heard this from two different modellers that built the Whippet. I guess you can get the Takom tracks for it, they are really nice
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:29 AM UTC
the only problem I found is that the Meng kit incorrectly has a semi-circular cut out in the angled engine cover over the radiator filler cap/overflow instead of a fully circular hole. I suspect this is a restoration glitch. The Takom kit shows this correctly but from some accounts is a bit more of a bear to build.

The Meng omission is better solved before assembly!
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC
Thanks! Might be better to just get the Takom, then. It appears to come with more decal options too, always a good thing.

wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:26 AM UTC
The engineering on the Takom kit reminds me of the Emhar kit of old.

Having built that and seen the build logs of these newer kits, a no-fuss build of the Whippet's "superstructure" in kit form has been quite the challenge for the three kits.

If you're looking to saving some money, I may recommend Meng's kit, AFAIK it's the cheaper option.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks! Might be better to just get the Takom, then. It appears to come with more decal options too, always a good thing.

I've got the Meng kit and the thing I like the most about it is that the axles are molded to the inner track run sides.

No need trying to trap a bunch of road wheels between two pieces. Also the Meng kit has some more options on the decal sheet that aren't mentioned in the instructions or on the box. IIRC Takom's chassis is a 'flat-pack', Meng's is one piece.

I found it extremely easy to build so far. IMHO, the only advantage to Takom's kit is the inclusion of the stowage boxes, an item easily scratch-built if desired. I've built Takom's Mk.IV and found their tracks easy to assemble but in need of careful handling or they are easily broken. They are also easily repaired with a little super glue. I also built Meng's Char 2C and found those tracks a little more forgiving than Takom's Al

Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 07:09 AM UTC
I haven't built the tracks yet so I don't know how well they hold up. If need be, I'll glue them. They are nicely detailed, that I do know.
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:21 AM UTC
I have built them both. the Meng kit builds up much better but suffers from the track pins being too small. the Takom kit is more difficult to build but the tracks are much better.

the Takom tracks will not fit the meng kit. I tried.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thats interesting....
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thats interesting....

Yes, but not indicative of an accuracy problem with either kit. There are a number of track sets and suspension components for the same vehicle that aren't interchangeable. All it takes is for one model company to design something on the "plus" side of acceptable and the other to go on the "minus" side.

KL
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 04:13 AM UTC
Where do the Takom tracks not fit the Meng kit? Around the sprocket and idler, or they don't fit width wise?
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:00 AM UTC
Also note that the Spuds in the Meng kit can be fitted to the tracks instead of hung on the racks if you want, you can't do this on the Takom kit as they don't fit.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 06:06 AM UTC
Thanks all. Interesting stuff. I'll probably get the Meng kit first as it's cheapest but I'll probably end up checking out the Takom kit somewhere along the line.
 _GOTOTOP