_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
El Alamein Grant q?
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 04:27 AM UTC
Gday all

Whilst waiting for paint & cyano to cure on a couple of other builds, I pondered the following.
I have Academy's Alamein Grant kit & set of Bison's decals which includes markings for Monty's ride. Would his tank have been stripped of all its ammo? I ask because I am thinking of opening hatches on this one but don't want to kit out the interior with the rounds in the rack etc, if it never carried them.

Ta
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gday all

Whilst waiting for paint & cyano to cure on a couple of other builds, I pondered the following.
I have Academy's Alamein Grant kit & set of Bison's decals which includes markings for Monty's ride. Would his tank have been stripped of all its ammo? I ask because I am thinking of opening hatches on this one but don't want to kit out the interior with the rounds in the rack etc, if it never carried them.

Ta

Monty was photographed in various tanks to inspire the folks back home, but he didn't actually command his army from a tank. His "ride" was typically a trailer or command van with map tables and radios, or a Humber Snipe convertible.
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC
Well that's interesting. So does that mean then that the Grant that's preserved (@ the IWM?) is not actually his command tank, but rather a 'trophy' tank (for want of a better description) for the purposes of the war correspondents to photograph & display to the folks back home, boosting morale & confidence?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well that's interesting. So does that mean then that the Grant that's preserved (@ the IWM?) is not actually his command tank, but rather a 'trophy' tank (for want of a better description) for the purposes of the war correspondents to photograph & display to the folks back home, boosting morale & confidence?

That's it in a nutshell. The question comes up pretty regularly on modeling boards.
 _GOTOTOP