_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng Merkava 3D road wheels
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi All. Has anyone have any issues with the mixed version of the road wheels on Meng Merkava Mk.3D TS-001 kit ? Working on one with road wheel Parts A and B mixed and the road wheels does not stay flat on the same level. When putting the lower hull on my desk, type A wheels touch the desk when the type B wheel is about 1mm higher, leaving a gap. Thank you.

Thanh
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:06 AM UTC
The two types of road wheels are different diameter. Basically Meng supplies you with road wheels with and without rubber. I believe I read somewhere that the IDF considers rubber on the road wheels as nice but not mandatory. The suspension arms must be adjusted for the two types of road wheels.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 10:51 AM UTC
If I'm correct Meng give you alternate roadwheel arms to use with the appropriate wheel type.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:31 PM UTC
The swing arms are specific to the roadwheel type, as they attach at different angles to allow for the different diameters, as the instructions show. Different part numbers for the two types.
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC
Thanks all for the replies. I did use the correct roadwheel arms for each type. At step 6, I choose assembly option 2 which is the combination of both wheel types and found the problem on my build.
The only way to fix this now is to order sprue B from Meng and build another 6 wheels of same type.
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 09:08 PM UTC
I built that kit with a mix of roadwheels and didn't have an issue. Just gotta make sure you follow the directions in the instructions closely and pair the road wheel with the correct corresponding wheel arm. Sounds like there was a mix up with your build somewhere along the way, sorry to say
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
I am pretty sure i assembled them correctly as i did 3 wheels of each type at a time using the correct part number. Anyway, i will contact Meng after-sales support to order one sprue B to fix it. Thank you again for all the replies.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am pretty sure i assembled them correctly as i did 3 wheels of each type at a time using the correct part number. Anyway, i will contact Meng after-sales support to order one sprue B to fix it. Thank you again for all the replies.

Before trying to get another set of roadwheels arms, just just those sitting too high with a modeling saw. Then drill a hole in the arm and the remaining part in the hull so you can fit an "axle" and reset the arms at the right angle.

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP