_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 diorama chairs
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:24 PM UTC
hi all, for my wirble wind dio, i am going to have some sitting down germans playing checkers, well i need to know how to make a table and a few chairs, just some help and techniques are needed, thnc all
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

Just a tip here, if it's for a couple of simple chairs I wouldn't go through the hassle of scratchbuilding them. If I am not mistaken Italeri reboxed part of and old Esci kit and named it German rest camp. It has 1 or 2 chairs in and a table and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Other sources are the Tamiya kit with eating soldiers and the DML radio operator sets (there are two, this is one of them http://www.dragon-models.com/html/dragon10.html#3826 )

Kris
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
Okay - not too difficult. First, recognize there are several kinds of chairs... a wooden crate would often do in the field, right? But assuming you want a real "chair", I suggest using a technique I often use... I take stips of thin Plastruct and flue together the basic shape of the chair, and then use aluminum foil from your wife's stockpile to make the back of the seat and the bottom cushion. I then undercoat it with white, then paint to desired design.

Does this make sense, or should this be another "digital diamond"?
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:16 PM UTC
I just had to mention that our company makes two different sets, each with two tables, four chairs and a set of checkers or backgammon. The chairs are a little more detailed than you might get by scratchbuilding and you can use the pieces over several dioramas.
Just in case you want another option.
Mike
www.monroeperdu.com
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:33 PM UTC
MonroePurdue is quite right... in fact, I did a review of his kit CAFE TABLE AND CHAIRS which is posted here on Armorama... it was quite a nice kit - very detailed and quite fun to build. Wonderful Laser-cut pressboard similar to what the train-guys have been gifted with for years! Go check out the review here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/70
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 09:49 PM UTC
thnx guys for your help, kfmagee, how can i lay my hands on your product ( the chairs and table) ??

matt
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:07 PM UTC
http://www.monroeperdu.com/mailorder.htm
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thnx guys for your help, kfmagee, how can i lay my hands on your product ( the chairs and table) ?? matt

Sorry - you need to order these through MonroePurdue Studios... their website is on the bottom of the review referenced in my previous post.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 04:25 PM UTC
Historex, in their plastic Napoleonic series, has a very rustic table and chair and other eating accessories and utensils in a set called Bivouac.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Since most of us don't have the time we would like to scratchbuild everything, I've learned there is a time to buy. You can always 'personalize" it.

And, if you're buying, please support our members when you can who make things we can use.

Sealhead
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC
My way costs 44 cents and takes about 5 minutes. All I use most of the time is one piece of 1/4" balsa strip ($.44). Cut the balsa the aprox. 1/2" for the four legs then with your knife thin the legs the the appropriate width, same technique with back of the chair. Seat can be excess cardstock, cardboard, wood scraps. I super glue it and stain it. Always looks like real wood because it is.
 _GOTOTOP