_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Q? about German TD's
chauvel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 03:18 AM UTC
Merry Xmas all
In a quiet moment I was doing some research & came across some info on the Hornisse/Nashorn & thought 'there's a gap in my stash'. So I googled & found reviews of both AFV & DML kits. And I know there's Tammy's kit out there as well. Which kit do you guys feel delivers the best result? AFV's kit read as the easiest but DML'S read as the most detailed, intricate, fussy, highly-engineered kit that will take months to finish.
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 04:31 AM UTC
IT kind of depends on the specific vehicle you want to build. As far as I know (and correct me if I am wrong), only Dragon makes the early Hornisse version while all three make the later Nashorn version. The distinguishing characteristics are not really that noticeable but here's a short (and simplified since quite a bit of overlap occurred among these features) list:

1. Internal (fighting compartment) barrel locking device in Hornisse but not in Nashorn.

2. 2-piece collapsing external barrel lock on the Hornisse, 1-piece folding barrel lock on Nashorn,

3. Early Pz III drive sprocket (ausf. E-G) on Hornisse, later ausf. J sprocket on Nashorn.

4. Barrel elevating restraint (located above recuperator) present on Nashorn but not on Hornisse.

5. Muffler present on Hornisse but not on Nashorn (instead had two (L and R) exhaust pipes).

For accuracy's sake I would go with the AFV kit although this judgment is made solely based on online reviews I have read (and the accuracy of all three kits appears to be very good so the differences may be small). For ease of construction I would go with Tamiya. For variety of different options (such as add-on armor to the gunshields) I would go with Dragon's kit #6835, the 3 in 1 Hornisse/Nashorn kit. Good luck and let us know which choice you go with.
 _GOTOTOP