_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
CyberHobby T34 STZ Magic Track problem?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 06:34 AM UTC
I'm finishing off Cyberhobby's T-34/76 STZ 1941 but now I've come to fit the Magic tracks I'm having a bit of a problem. I've stuck the top run on with the correct slight sag between the wheels but now I've come to line up the bottom run (which are all stuck together solid) with the top....there's a gap.

The gap makes it so I can't stick the 2 finished runs together. If I add more links then unless I push the upper run so it flares out badly they won't fit either. I can't just add 1 link to the left side but have to add an extra 2 plus 1 link on the right also.......but this still doesn't fit. Anyone else had this problem with this particular kit? I didn't have this problem with the Magic Tracks on my Premium Edition T-34/85.

Hope I've explained it clearly.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:00 AM UTC
I usually leave the idler unglued so that it can be adjusted to fit the track.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually leave the idler unglued so that it can be adjusted to fit the track.

I can see why you'd do that but I don't think it would work with this kit as you have to glue the wheels peg into the holes.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 11:53 PM UTC
If anyone else has built this kit I'd be interested to know how many links you've used each side.
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:08 AM UTC
I used 74 MT links per side on kit 6424. This is a sister kit of the one you described, both based on kit 6418, so I'd have to think that the count would be about the same.

I'm with Tojo72 though. You should leave the idler unglued until you've achieved the look you're after with the track. That's what I did on this kit and it worked fine. If I recall, I had to wrap a small piece of tamiya tape around the stud on the idler arm where it mates with the hull. That helped hold it in place on the hull well enough to build the tracks, but it still left it so that I could fiddle with the idler (and I did, quite a bit) in order to achieve the track sag I wanted.

With AFV's that have two link track systems like the T-34 or King Tiger for example, you really need to leave the idler loose enough to account for the track run. You can sometimes get away with an ill-glued idler on a tank that uses a single type of track link (Panzer III or IV for example), but not on something like a T-34.

Here's how mine turned out.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Don't feel bad,I know the feeling.
dwnrng44
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 02:46 AM UTC
I have had this happen with a DML T-34. With the T-34 you usually have a toothed and a flat link. Take one of each, cut them in half and glue together one of each link and fit in. I always do my final link up on the bottom flat run and could hide this "fix" behind/under a road wheel. You may be able to try this and hide it around the sprocket or idler.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 04:15 AM UTC
I built this STZ 41 Cyberhobby kit years ago, can't remember any problem with the tracks, on T-34s I always play with the adjustment of the idler arms to compensate.

Cheers,

Christophe
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I used 74 MT links per side on kit 6424. This is a sister kit of the one you described, both based on kit 6418, so I'd have to think that the count would be about the same.

I'm with Tojo72 though. You should leave the idler unglued until you've achieved the look you're after with the track. That's what I did on this kit and it worked fine. If I recall, I had to wrap a small piece of tamiya tape around the stud on the idler arm where it mates with the hull. That helped hold it in place on the hull well enough to build the tracks, but it still left it so that I could fiddle with the idler (and I did, quite a bit) in order to achieve the track sag I wanted.

With AFV's that have two link track systems like the T-34 or King Tiger for example, you really need to leave the idler loose enough to account for the track run. You can sometimes get away with an ill-glued idler on a tank that uses a single type of track link (Panzer III or IV for example), but not on something like a T-34.

Here's how mine turned out.

Hmm............I've got 76 tracks on the right and 73 so far on the left but I haven't stuck all the links on the left yet. Not sure what's going on but maybe I put too much sag on the front wheels.

Yours looks great btw.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built this STZ 41 Cyberhobby kit years ago, can't remember any problem with the tracks, on T-34s I always play with the adjustment of the idler arms to compensate.

Cheers,

Christophe

Thing is I just can't see how I could have done that with this kit as the back wheel is tight against the others. The front idler can be moved but there isn't much leeway before it would fall off the axle plus the shape of the wheel won't allow much leeway.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:04 AM UTC
Ok I've pretty much finished it now. I dug out my other Dragon T34 and even though the front idler wheel can't really be moved when it's stuck on the axle/idler arm....I forgot that the front axle/idler arm can be moved (which I saw when looking at the other kit). Basically I sliced off the front axle/idler arm (which I'd stuck on too far forward), put the replacement on and put it facing back more and managed to get the track links to fit (with less links than I put on the other side). The only thing I don't like is that the rear small wheel is way too close to the next larger one with pretty much no gap)

So you guys were right about the idlers and I should have left it loose until I'd built up the track.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:46 AM UTC
I usually don't glue the road wheels together until later. I do the entire run and fit it on with the idler, sprocket, and inside half of the road wheels. Once the glue on the track is dry I slide everything off and paint. Once painted I slide everything back and at the very end glue on the outside halves of the road wheels.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually don't glue the road wheels together until later. I do the entire run and fit it on with the idler, sprocket, and inside half of the road wheels. Once the glue on the track is dry I slide everything off and paint. Once painted I slide everything back and at the very end glue on the outside halves of the road wheels.

Good idea. I was thinking of doing a similar thing with my King Tiger. Put all the road wheels on unglued then glue the top track run on to the tops of the wheels. Then pull them off and paint all the hard to reach places ......then glue the wheels on and finally glue the bottom track run on.
 _GOTOTOP