_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help novice modeller witrh 1/35 Abrams
AssaultSugar
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:45 AM UTC
That is the 1/35 Abrams from Academy I got it as a Christmas gift. I'm pretty amateur at modelling having only assembled a few Gundam models. This model is giving a lot of problems,

as far I can tell is a requirement to glue several major parts todether to which I am unfamiliar with as Gundams never require gluing parts always fit together

Does anyone here any knowledge on this kit and any guides as to what kind I glue is recommend and more importantly where too glue?
MikeBrindos
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:02 AM UTC
You'll need Tamiya Extra Thin or Testors Liquid Cement. Testors Liquid Cement can be more easily found in most Hobby supply shops such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Fred Myer's may have some as well as WalMart if they even bother stocking any models at all.

That kit is not going to be anything like your past adventures with Gundam Kits. Nothing is meant to Snap together and you will need to glue everything onto the model. Test fit every part and add glue to where the parts meet.

You should be fine. Its not tricky, just more time consuming. Just remember that these models are not meant to be handled much and only add enough glue to keep the parts together. Lots of them will be tiny and therefore fragile.

Make sure you clean up any molding lines and you should have some good results when you finish.
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC
I never had an Academy Abrams before, but i did have 3 other Abrams kits made by other companies. I'm pretty sure they're all similar since they're all Abrams.

The glue you should use is a special plastic glue. There are many companies that sell plastic glue and it's easy to find.

Hope this was helpful for you.
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:20 AM UTC
For glue you will need Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. I've been doing tanks for over 10 years and this glue is the way to go. It's actually a solvent, not a glue, so make sure you don't get it anywhere on the plastic where it shouldn't go, it'll dissolve polystyrene quickly.

You should start off by washing all of the parts while still on the sprues. If you've started putting it together before washing, that's all right too, you can always wash it right before painting.

What I tend to do now mostly when assembling models is cut parts from the sprue, scrape or sand what shouldn't be there, fit the part onto the model without glue and then add very small amounts of glue to the seam lines.

This is a very basic order for kit construction. Depending on the scenario or complexity, you might have to paint some parts before adding them on.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:18 AM UTC
Mostly welcome and thanks for posting. Many videos available on YouTube or please browse the many examples on this website. Much fun ahead!
KruppCake
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 401 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:21 AM UTC
Yes, YouTube and Armorama are amazing resources for tank making. You can also let us know if you run into more specific problems.
 _GOTOTOP