_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WWII German Panther turret track hangers
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 01:56 AM UTC
Anyone have some close up images of the real thing?

I want to "make" my own and have general idea of what they look like but want to add track links to the turret of this Panther and need a starting point.

Thanks and Have a Safe and Happy New Year!

Jeff
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:54 AM UTC
There was some variation between units as they were added by the Werkstatt Kp. - can you give us an idea of the subject's user unit?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 09:22 AM UTC
There were two types. I asked for some photo's so I can figure out what they looked like. If you have the left over sprues from Dragons F or G Panther you probably already have a few of them. I used the ones from my Panther F kit. They were not marked or labeled in the instructions and the photo's let me identify what they looked like and I discovered I had them already.

See my Wednesday Aug 26th thread about the turret hooks. It is back about 70 pages in the old entries.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC
The hangers from the 1SS PzRegt were made with rebar type material,bent in a J shape and welded on by the werkstatt dudes
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your replies and Happy New Year!

I had no unit or division in mind... just ANY close-up images would help me decide if I want to do this or not. I have also seen blurry images of what appear to be what was used for attaching them to the hull for the turret as well which was a new discovery for me.

I am just considering attaching links vertically to a late G and I have a good idea as to HOW, but an education on the subject is always a better step forward.

Jeff
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 04:20 AM UTC
If it is a Dragon late G with steal wheels , there are hooks on the steal wheel sprues.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
Here's a view of the Panther Ausf G on display at Houffalize (Belgium) that shows two types of hooks :

Variation on a Ausf.D :

H.P.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:43 AM UTC
Thanks Frenchy! I've seen both photos before but not so clear and close-up.

I wanted to take a Late Production G (with the last station a steel rimmed road wheel) and make a command tank out of it. Since there are limited photographic images of them and instead of the foliage loops welded on the side of the turret, track links sounded better for such a Panther.

I don't want them "magically" hanging there so some type of hangers will do since they were field applied. Round steel rod is the more logical choice and most likely to be more readily available.

Those hull style hangers look really odd and I just wonder when those were applied?

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP