_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New 1/35 Sherman Easy Eight - comparison ?
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hi everyone ! I'm newbie here I was mainly a box collector as AFV modeler, but i like AFV (Especially US, german "Panzer Beast's" (King Tiger is my favorite) and IDF - and - naturally - Czech (WW II/modern). My dream is collection of WW I "landships"...

OK, why i write here. I saw after X-mas Tamiya and Italeri released Sherman Easy Eight. Tamia E8 was reviewed here, but i can't found any review for Italeri new tool E8 - with decals and special parts (logs etc.)for "Fury". (In Czech go into cinema and later to DVD as "Hearts from Steel !!!" ). On scalemates is this kit labeled as rebox of ancient Italeri Sherman from sixties, but this is probably mistake.(Italeri make Sherman with VVS and not HVSS On box is label New tool.... Unfortunately, i don't buy a Tasca/Asuka re-box from Tamiya, but when i'am still a weekend modeler and not profesional i think a new tool EE is better for me. Movie star "Fury" is very attractive for me - can you please compared a Italeri and Tamiya N.T. "EE" ? (I maybe bought both, Tamiya was with high Shake n'bake kit but Italeri have parts and decals for "Fury" but i don't know it is a Italeri kit useable ? ) My last AFV kit from italeri was a "Water Buffalo" a decade back :/ Thank you !
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Alfred, welcome to Armorama.com. Frankly, Italeri's quality of models is junk compared to Asuka and Tamiya kits. My preliminary glances of the sprue shots show that the new Italeri Easy 8 is not worth comparing to the Tamiya kit.
At the same time, I am sure someone will review the Italeri kit eventually and make it available in the near future.
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:29 AM UTC
Italeri's kit is closest to the film's tank as it apparently contains the canvas cover frames for the mantlet, something the new Tamiya kit and Asuka's Fury tank don't have. It's not their ancient kit and does have new-tooled parts but the tooling techniques are quite dated IMHO.

If you end up buying both, I'd recommend using Italeri's tank as a donor kit for the Tamiya one.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone ! I'm newbie here I was mainly a box collector as AFV modeler, but i like AFV (Especially US, german "Panzer Beast's" (King Tiger is my favorite) and IDF - and - naturally - Czech (WW II/modern). My dream is collection of WW I "landships"...

OK, why i write here. I saw after X-mas Tamiya and Italeri released Sherman Easy Eight. Tamia E8 was reviewed here, but i can't found any review for Italeri new tool E8 - with decals and special parts (logs etc.)for "Fury". (In Czech go into cinema and later to DVD as "Hearts from Steel !!!" ). On scalemates is this kit labeled as rebox of ancient Italeri Sherman from sixties, but this is probably mistake.(Italeri make Sherman with VVS and not HVSS On box is label New tool.... Unfortunately, i don't buy a Tasca/Asuka re-box from Tamiya, but when i'am still a weekend modeler and not profesional i think a new tool EE is better for me. Movie star "Fury" is very attractive for me - can you please compared a Italeri and Tamiya N.T. "EE" ? (I maybe bought both, Tamiya was with high Shake n'bake kit but Italeri have parts and decals for "Fury" but i don't know it is a Italeri kit useable ? ) My last AFV kit from italeri was a "Water Buffalo" a decade back :/ Thank you !

Hello Alfred,

Welcome to Armorama.

I'll be building the Fury Sherman soon ( including the Bravo 6 figures ), and I'm going to use the Taska (Asuka) kit with the Legends kit that duplicates the exterior mods.

I recommend the Asuka kit because of my experiences with Tasca Sherman's. They are a dream to put together and great quality !
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Italeri's kit is closest to the film's tank as it apparently contains the canvas cover frames for the mantlet, something the new Tamiya kit and Asuka's Fury tank don't have. It's not their ancient kit and does have new-tooled parts but the tooling techniques are quite dated IMHO.

If you end up buying both, I'd recommend using Italeri's tank as a donor kit for the Tamiya one.

Yes, it contains a piece of the convas cover framework (only on mantlet tho), itself not original equipment but something that was adapted post war and may have been done by the museum to protect the inside from moisture.

I like some argued in the beginning that any model of "fury" should be an M4A2E8 because of "ron" the primary vehicle used for the film. Then I found out no less than 5 different shermans where used to complete scenes and at least one a french M4A3E8 that was modified to the radial engine sometime ago. This was probably due to an over abundance of parts and engines available post ww2 than performance as the ford engine has been recognized as the top one to serve in the sherman. Alas the US Army still used the M4A3E8 into the 1950s so ford engine parts were probably not sold to other countries. There is an image of this french hybrid tank (all decked out as fury) with a M4A1 engine deck and it looks weird.

Just remember this, "fury' is SUPPOSED to be an M4A3E8 so model that and don't worry about what anyone thinks.

As for the kit itself, I will probably hold off on buying this one until I see the build reviews. Looks like they recycled some old sprues. The sprues themselves have been rearranged but I recognize the parts. Turret, hull, sandshield brackets, and suspension are the very old DML #9010 kit parts (from 1990) and the tub is from their ancient (1967) m4a1 76mm kit. The tracks, decals, and fury accessories might be the only new tooled parts.

If it is the old DML stuff, the turret and barrel are woefully undersized, the sand shield brackets oversized and the suspension is very fragile, difficult to assemble, and inaccurate. I hope I'm mistaken as I'd love to buy this kit simply as a fan of the film and because I would like to support movie themed kits like this.

BTW, am currently building the new Tamya kit and it's a real nice kit, modern, no fit issues, accurate, medium level details, and it's also inexpensive. If you absolutely need to match the movie tracks then buy some AM T-80s (i believe AFV makes a link to link set in plastic). Otherwise you can make a real nice fury out of the tamiya kit by scratch building your own unditching logs, spare track, wheel, bags, etc. Not hard to do. Beware of the Italeri tracks, they use a really stiff almost plastic like material that may be designed to be formed in like hot water or something. They cannot be glued with CA and unless pre-formed into correct shape are too stiff to wrap around plastic model suspensions without reaking suspension bits. They are that stiff.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello Alfred,

Welcome to Armorama.

I'll be building the Fury Sherman soon ( including the Bravo 6 figures ), and I'm going to use the Taska (Asuka) kit with the Legends kit that duplicates the exterior mods.

I recommend the Asuka kit because of my experiences with Tasca Sherman's. They are a dream to put together and great quality !

I look forward to seeing that, and yes that is probably the best way to do the project except in the price department. The average modeler will probably prefer the new tamiya for its lower price, lower parts count and ease of construction. But yes, the Asuka/Tasca shermans are amazing.
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
I've had Italeri tank kits in the past and yes, the tracks were indeed stiff but also less likely to be deformed and twisted. However, the new kit says that the tracks are made from a new glueable rubber material, perhaps they solved the flexibility issues as well.

I was initially under the impression that Italeri and Academy were using the same lower hull tub for their Shermans but upon closer inspection, that isn't the case. In fact, it's correct that Italeri used the old DML bits including the lower hull tub, not from their ancient 60's kit, even one of the sprues is 100% vintage DML.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've had Italeri tank kits in the past and yes, the tracks were indeed stiff but also less likely to be deformed and twisted. However, the new kit says that the tracks are made from a new glueable rubber material, perhaps they solved the flexibility issues as well.

I was initially under the impression that Italeri and Academy were using the same lower hull tub for their Shermans but upon closer inspection, that isn't the case. In fact, it's correct that Italeri used the old DML bits including the lower hull tub, not from their ancient 60's kit, even one of the sprues is 100% vintage DML.

Lol, the tub in the old DML M4A3E8 kit #9010 WAS the tub from the 1967 M4A1 Italeri kit. on acccount that mods were required to add the DML E8 suspension to those old Italeri tubs, some of those 9010 kits came with a second tub made of resin which made adding their inaccurate E8 suspension easier, lol!

DML got a lot of their early sherman stuff from Italeri back in the day. Heck, they still use some of those old italeri sprues to this day in newer sherman releases which really ticks off the allied guys. Apparently their collaboration continues only now Italeri borrows the old E8 sprues from DML. This is all almost comical especially when they are claiming new tooling. Like I said earlier and on the Fury news thread. The only new stuff is the added accessories for fury like the logs and such plus, the decals, and the tracks. Otherwise it's a somewhat disingenuous use of the term "new tooling"

I will say this about that hull sprue, that old M4A3 hull has a lot of molded on detail, but it also has RAISED welds molded in which was not common in those days. It will build into something that resembles an E8 as perhaps the worse part of this rebox is the turret which is woefully undersized along with the tiniest plastic 76mm barrel and muzzle brake ever molded in plastic.

The only things I would use from this kit are the upper hull, the tracks (especially if they can be glued), the accessories, and the decals.

The suspension is absolute garbage, the wheels have the wrong number of bolts and no hub detail, the rest of the bogie structures are off scale as well, the turret is absolute junk too, undersized, mishaped, undersized mantlet, super puny little gun,

you could also use the lower tub and the FDA for an M4A1 project or even with that upper hull so long as you don't mind the underside has M4A1 fittings and engine access panels etc. So with some parts from this kit you could augment your tamiya or Tasca E8 to make a fury and then use the left over hull to make an additional M4A3 VVSS by adding either a T-23 or 75mm sherman turret and using the VVSS DML spares everyone has in their spares box. So as a donor kit you could still salvage a second albiet dated M4A3 with the addition of a decent turret, HTHs
wowcool
Visit this Community
Solomon Islands
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 12:58 PM UTC
You got me there, I stand corrected, while I'm entirely aware that DML borrowed moulds and parts (Gunze Sangyo for example) for its earliest kits, I wasn't expecting such vintage from Italeri. I guess I've been victim of Scalemates, too, labelling 9010 as a fresh tooling.
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 03:04 PM UTC
Hmm, old DML Easy Eight - Korean War - with big tiger mouth on front armor i bought a many years ago.. and later sold it.And really have parts from Italeri. When i good understand - now DML "lease" moulds and make"brand new" Fury?

Tasca/Asuka was for "nice price" in italeri re-box - but i wait and wait and - now is discontinued.... (I don't know it is a limited offer). Original Asuka is expensive and for me very complex. I think a new Tamiya is better choice for me. I look only for compare with new Italeri as is useable kit when you use it as "donor" for "Fury" stuffs... But it is a really mish - mash old DML and italeri parts i bought it only when was inexpensive.... Thanx guys !
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You got me there, I stand corrected, while I'm entirely aware that DML borrowed moulds and parts (Gunze Sangyo for example) for its earliest kits, I wasn't expecting such vintage from Italeri. I guess I've been victim of Scalemates, too, labelling 9010 as a fresh tooling.

No worries, i have all the kits being discussed here. I used to have a terrible habit of buying atleast two of every sherman released. I still have the italeri kit in the box and the DML #9010 in the box. I also have them built on the shelf and some in boxes that are not finished as I was kitbashing or making modifications and such. Heck, I have some completed but still waiting for paint after 10-15 years. I think I have atleast one copy of every single DML sherman ever released, the tamiya M4A3s and M4 kits, of the Tasca shermans I have almost all of the different ones but only one box as those where more expensive to collect. The more recent Israeli Tamya shermans I also had 2 of each but most are built already but I always save atleast one box and set of directions. I never collected resin kits and only purchased a complete formations Sherman 2 ages ago, but that is built and waiting paint too. So I am not as familiar with resin releases as some other folks. But the plastic kits I know a thing or two about as I've built or own most of the large scale stuff. I also never dabbled into the smaller scale plastic kits save 4-5 1/48 shermans from Tamiya and hobby boss and none are built.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about any kit (if I have it in my stash) and I will try to answer it as best as I can. My favorite AM product for 1/35 shermans is the panda plastic link to link tracks. Easiest if the link to link and they look amazing once tensioned and glued down. Tasca shermans are by far the most detailed and well engineered. The last 2 Tamiya offerings (M51 & E8) are really nice too and very easy to build.

DML shermans vary from kit to kit as some have huge errors and others are great out of the box with few corrections. By far the most error free DML kit I've seen to date was the limited "beaute panzer" release. That kit can be built as a late war USMC M4A2 ( pelilue and saipan?), a Russian late leand lease 75mm, and of course as a captured Russian sherman in German use.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, old DML Easy Eight - Korean War - with big tiger mouth on front armor i bought a many years ago.. and later sold it.And really have parts from Italeri. When i good understand - now DML "lease" moulds and make"brand new" Fury?

Tasca/Asuka was for "nice price" in italeri re-box - but i wait and wait and - now is discontinued.... (I don't know it is a limited offer). Original Asuka is expensive and for me very complex. I think a new Tamiya is better choice for me. I look only for compare with new Italeri as is useable kit when you use it as "donor" for "Fury" stuffs... But it is a really mish - mash old DML and italeri parts i bought it only when was inexpensive.... Thanx guys !

Sounds like you will be buying the Italeri offering anyways It's not a bad idea if you plan to use the parts on a Tamiya E8. Who am I kidding? I will probably buy the Italeri Fury too just because and even knowing what comes in the box, what can I say? I have a problem
AlfredCZ
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 10:48 PM UTC
Yes, but i don't know what is Italeri "Fury" priced. When was sold for same price as Tamiya offering, i don't waste a money. If it inexpensive (beyond 500CZK/22USD) i used it as conversion set....

This year coming very nice AFV kits.... TUSK Abrams and Leo II 2A7 and King from AFV...., new IDF stuff... etc.
 _GOTOTOP