_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Ant Miniatures Assault gunner, Multi-cam WIP
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 01:40 PM UTC
Guys, as per photo, here is my attempt at multi-cam on Ant Miniature's exceptional 1/16 scale assault gunner...

I'm not entirely happy with it, and may go back and tidy some of it up. It isn't a difficult pattern to do, so to speak, but it took me three days to get to this point. About 21 hours of spraying, masking, painting... any feedback gratefully received.

Kylie
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
Waouh ! Great pattern. I guess it is difficult to paint even in this scale.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hello Alex,

the pattern itself isn't too difficult: after priming the base, I sprayed over the khaki, masked that off, sprayed the medium green, masked that off, sprayed the flat earth brown, masked that off, and applied the final color of desert pink. Once all that was done, it was simply a matter of removing the masking, going back and touching up with the respective color for the finer details; and then going back with the light gray and chocolate brown "droppings" on top.

I guess to me it looks too crowded / "busy" to my eye, and I'm thinking of stripping it back to primer and starting again.

Kylie

And how do I make the photo larger, please?
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 12:59 PM UTC
I have the figure on my bench for a review at the moment... It is an amazing figure indeed.

As for the images, try "copy link location" instead of "copy image location" when right-clicking the thumbnail image. This should give you the image, not its thumbnail.

Mario

PS Looking good. I have a pair of Multicam pants, and the pattern does not look easy to me. A lot of colors, some subtle transitions of colors, and crazy small shapes. Keep it up, hope to see this one finished.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi Kylie,

It looks great to me, well done, the 'busy look' you mention may be due to the clean finish, some weathering will help that and I'm sure you will be more happy with the finish.

Neil
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 06:45 AM UTC
The spraying (airbrushing?) looks really nice and gives the pattern a nice even coat and tone. (If I painted it, I probably would have used a brush and not have achieved such a nice result).

Did all the parts fit well and securely? What kind of mask did you use...tape or liquid masking?
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Mario,

thanks for the tip; attached is the partially completed figure. The head and helmet are not glued in, yet. It is truly a great figure, and I'd like to see more from Ant Miniatures. I'd suggest one to crew the 1/16 50cal currently available.

I am contemplating getting another with a view to doing a ballistic face shield on the helmet and painting the figure all in black. But I'd much rather a new figure altogether.

Thanks for the feedback on the camo, Neil; I guess I should finish it before being overly critical.

And Peter, I used my Tamiya High Grade airbrush for the camo. Well worth the investment. Blu-tac was used for the masking; and all parts fitted perfectly. There is a small amount of movement at the joint, but nothing to put out the alignment of the major parts. And no filling required whatsoever. I really want another one...

Kylie

SUCCESS!
Removed by original poster on 01/06/16 - 05:43:11 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/06/16 - 05:45:10 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/06/16 - 05:47:04 (GMT).
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:19 PM UTC
That is a nice looking figure and the camo looks good as well.

Paul
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC
Nice! I like it.

As for another figure... I'm hoping some more of Peter's designs will be available soon. It is a long process... AFAIK, this one should have been ready for sale in March 2015, and it was released in November 2015.

Mario
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 12:07 PM UTC
Guys,

a quick up-date on progress,

still a way to go yet; any feedback and reference photos gratefully received.

thank you

kylie
enekolas
Visit this Community
Vizcaya, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 04:44 PM UTC
Hi Kylie,

Can you tell me which paints are you used.

Brand and number, please

Thanks
 _GOTOTOP