_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Takom - Mk. V (3 in 1) Question
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Just purchased this kit over the weekend and am left with one mildly pressing question:

The kit allows the modeler to build one of three different physical versions of the same tank. However the instruction sheet shows a different nationality's markings associated with each style of tank.

Did all three countries that employed the Mark V use all three styles of the tank? (Male, Female and Hermaphrodite) or by picking my favorite style am I also limiting myself to one particular nationalities' markings?

In other words I want to build the Hermaphrodite but I want to use British markings. Is that OK? I don't believe the instruction sheet addresses this question.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Michael, I just picked this kit up too. On the cover of that REALLY nice instruction booklet they give a history of the Mark V. Towards the bottom it states, "After the Armistice the British gave70 Mark V's to the White Russian Faction to fight the Bolsheviks...". I'm betting that they were war surplus from British Army stocks. So, I think that you could use British markings.
Mig's painting guide that 1941 Red Army Male Mk.V must of been the first digital camo job. Gave that one a 2minute thought.
I'm leaning toward the Mk. V Male, unknown unit build.
Good Luck & have fun with your build !
Tom
dylans
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:58 AM UTC
I discovered that the painting guide in that kit is very flawed. if you are going to build a particular tank on that sheet, check your references.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC
It is my first venture into The Great War, any recommendations on reference?
IPLawyer
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC
A good place to start is probably the Osprey New Vanguard book on the Mark V by David Fletcher, a historian who recently retired from the Bovington Tank Museum. This book may answer several of your questions. For example, this book indicates that there is no hard evidence of a Mark V hemaphrodite having been used during the WWI.

Another place to check out is a website similar to Armorama that focuses on World War I subjects called Landships II:

http://www.landships.info/landships/index.html
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi Michael

I did a build review on this Takom Mk V 3 in 1 kit and it should be posted soon.

This what I found in my searches.

Wikipedia: Four hundred were built, 200 each of Males and Females. Several were converted to Hermaphrodites (also known as "Composites") by fitting one male and one female sponson so that each tank had a 6-pounder. This measure was intended to ensure that female tanks would not be outgunned when faced with captured British male tanks in German use or the Germans' own A7V.

I found some pictures that where taken in Russia of restored ones.

For color I can not help you.

Cheers,

Ralph
 _GOTOTOP