_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Bloody Omaha
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC
I posted this one a while ago but have since added another landing craft, a few more figures and equipment and generaly touched it up.

I think it looks better now?

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hello ,

NICE ! You managed to create the right atmosphere on the beach , it looks very chaotic and violent. The water splashes are a nice touch and the models are well done .

Thanks for sharing

Cheers !
Kurt
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello ,

NICE ! You managed to create the right atmosphere on the beach , it looks very chaotic and violent. The water splashes are a nice touch and the models are well done .

Thanks for sharing

Cheers !
Kurt

Exactly what I think.

Perhaps add some water into boats
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
Pretty intense. Gives a good sense of the confusion and chaos of the landing. the corpsmen are very overworked. My only negative would be that the troops should be more wet from all the splash and spray. Not sure how you would portray that except maybe "splash" them with clear gloss. Even then it might not give the proper effect. Nevertheless, an effective portrayal that conveys many of the elements, physical as well as emotional, of the early hours of that fateful day.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
What an ambitious project and kudos to you for attempting this. The veterans talked about a lot of bodies floating around the landing craft, mulched up human beings on the beaches and the in the water as well. My brother in law's father was there. I spoke to him several times about it and he honestly didn't like talking about it much, he survived because he used dead friends to sheild himself from the bullets. It sounded like hell to hear him talk about it. My own grandfather was at Iwo Jima so these old guys saw a lot of nasty stuff in their youth
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:00 AM UTC
That is a lot of work!!! This would take me 10 years maybe. I don't know how you crank these things out so quick brother!! Great concept with loads of drama and action. Really captures the chaos of that day. Congrats.
J
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:51 AM UTC
Wow, what an incredible diorama. You have captured that horrific day very well. Must have been an enormous amount of time to complete. Thank you for sharing with us.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 04:55 AM UTC
Superb work! Love it. Dioramas depicting combat are never easy to do but yours depicts the chaos and violence of the event really well without being over the top. Really like the explosions both on land and in the water. The only thing I would change is the bullet strikes in the sand as they look a bit odd with them being so high. Maybe shorten them a bit? With the amount going on it looks a lot bigger than it is. Well done on a fine piece of work.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:34 AM UTC
Hey Jerry, Excellent diorama. You have accomplished a rather large dio that does not get lost in its self and holds the story no matter what angle you look at it from. The only thing besides the bullet sand marks already talked about is the possing of the feet in some dead or wounded. If you can remove the foot without damaging the figure or ground work, you should splay them outwards more. When I find myself doing a figure that I'm not sure of the stance, I posse my self to see if it is possable. Has kept my figures on balance you might say. Next time you lounge on the couch or floor or lay on your bed, notice when you are relaxed, that your feet have a tndincy to drift outwards. If you're dead you can't get more relaxed. Just a hint for striving for a better dio each time; because every time we build one they get more detailed in our skills and look better. Our purpose of self learning I call it. By no means does this take away from the great work you have created here. I have watched your dio progress up the so called ladder and each one gets better with your skill and holding the story. You have indeed captured what those young men went through and changed thier lives and the world forever. Congradulations on a piece of artwork done splendedly. bob d.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello ,

Thanks for sharing

Cheers !
Kurt

Kurt

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello ,

Thanks for sharing

Cheers !
Kurt

Exactly what I think.

Perhaps add some water into boats

Alex

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pretty intense. Gives a good sense of the confusion and chaos of the landing. the corpsmen are very overworked. My only negative would be that the troops should be more wet from all the splash and spray. Not sure how you would portray that except maybe "splash" them with clear gloss. Even then it might not give the proper effect. Nevertheless, an effective portrayal that conveys many of the elements, physical as well as emotional, of the early hours of that fateful day.

dvsand

Much appreciated.

I appreciate what you are saying about the wet effect but I think gloss varnish would not look right.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What an ambitious project and kudos to you for attempting this. The veterans talked about a lot of bodies floating around the landing craft, mulched up human beings on the beaches and the in the water as well. My brother in law's father was there. I spoke to him several times about it and he honestly didn't like talking about it much, he survived because he used dead friends to sheild himself from the bullets. It sounded like hell to hear him talk about it. My own grandfather was at Iwo Jima so these old guys saw a lot of nasty stuff in their youth

Pedro

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is a lot of work!!! This would take me 10 years maybe. I don't know how you crank these things out so quick brother!! Great concept with loads of drama and action. Really captures the chaos of that day. Congrats.
J

Jerry

Thanks for that.

Much appreciated.

This one did take a few months to complete.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, what an incredible diorama. You have captured that horrific day very well. Must have been an enormous amount of time to complete. Thank you for sharing with us.

Dale

Much appreciated.

It took a few months to complete.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Superb work! Love it. Dioramas depicting combat are never easy to do but yours depicts the chaos and violence of the event really well without being over the top. Really like the explosions both on land and in the water. The only thing I would change is the bullet strikes in the sand as they look a bit odd with them being so high. Maybe shorten them a bit? With the amount going on it looks a lot bigger than it is. Well done on a fine piece of work.

Karl

Much appreciated.

I tried the bullet strikes smaller when I was making this but they just did not look right or stand out enough.

Cheers

Gerry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jerry, Excellent diorama. You have accomplished a rather large dio that does not get lost in its self and holds the story no matter what angle you look at it from. The only thing besides the bullet sand marks already talked about is the possing of the feet in some dead or wounded. If you can remove the foot without damaging the figure or ground work, you should splay them outwards more. When I find myself doing a figure that I'm not sure of the stance, I posse my self to see if it is possable. Has kept my figures on balance you might say. Next time you lounge on the couch or floor or lay on your bed, notice when you are relaxed, that your feet have a tndincy to drift outwards. If you're dead you can't get more relaxed. Just a hint for striving for a better dio each time; because every time we build one they get more detailed in our skills and look better. Our purpose of self learning I call it. By no means does this take away from the great work you have created here. I have watched your dio progress up the so called ladder and each one gets better with your skill and holding the story. You have indeed captured what those young men went through and changed thier lives and the world forever. Congradulations on a piece of artwork done splendedly. bob d.

Bob

Much appreciated.

I take on board your comments and will keep them in the armoury for the next one.

Cheers

Gerry
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 03:31 PM UTC
This looks very unique, especially the effects put into it like the explosions and one thing that caught my attention was the plashing water which looks very realistic to how it would have looked like.

As for the carnage on the battlefield, it reminds me of that first landing scene from Saving Private Ryan, but with a little less blood and gore.
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2016 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks very unique, especially the effects put into it like the explosions and one thing that caught my attention was the plashing water which looks very realistic to how it would have looked like.

As for the carnage on the battlefield, it reminds me of that first landing scene from Saving Private Ryan, but with a little less blood and gore.

Hyder

Much appreciated.

I wanted to show the reality of war without going ott on the blood and gore.

Hopefully I managed to achieve that.

Cheers

Gerry
 _GOTOTOP