Hosted by Darren Baker
weathering the barn
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hello everyone. I just thought I would post a couple pics of the weathering so far. I have finished the washes on the timbers and the interior wood is done. the doors have been distressed with drybrushing I think they just need the hinges painted and rusted.Also the latches finished on them. the exterior timbers still needs the drybrushing to age the wood. I have also a few steps left with the shingled part of the roof. I tried "inking the twine thatch" and it has turned very dark. I'm not sure if just drybrushing will be enough to effect the change I am after. I am going for a dusty light grey with hints of brown. Any suggestions PLEASE!! All comments are welcome. And thanks again.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 12:01 AM UTC
hey jackhmmer , thats loking really really good, the thatching looks real, and the weathering on the wooden beams is exeelent

good job

matt
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
Great progress. It looks wondeful.
Couple of things I would think about - nail holes on the inside - or - it may have been held together with 'pegs'. You could use streatched sprue to represent the very ends of them.
The inside looks very good, right now its still very clean and new. Are you planning a used staw for the upstairs?
The other thing I see is that it is still 'just sitting on' the ground, don't forget to add groundwork to 'connect' it to the base.

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thanks guys, The nail holes are there even with the braces on the floor joints. It isnt showing up well in the pics mayber another wash to bring them back out. and yes there will be straw up in the loft. lol a lot more untwisting twine. as for blending it into the base i have it still loose so its easier on me to get inside to do the washes and drybrushing, it will be blended in soon. cheers Kevin
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
If the roofing fiber has accepted the ink wouldnt that prime it enough to paint hilites
with an airbrush or spray can? maybe test it on a back corner and if it doesnt look
right you could probably re- ink it and try something else. How well is the twine holding
its shape? Any problems with loose strands after inking or trimming? I like the
contrast of the interior of the roof that hasnt been exposed to the weather.. interior
construction is great!! Keep us up to date.. you have a great project going here!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC

I think this thatch is perfect. The lovely yellow thatch that most people imagine is either fresh or from a postcard or both. What i can see here is 100% realistic. With view from both inside and outside .. this is as good as it gets! Great weathering. Loads of old barn junk on the inside will make this a fine scene. Amazing work Jackhammar
Florre
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 980 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
WOW!
This is awesome. The straw really is as real as you can possible get it. I'm impressed, and also a bit jealous
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC
Excellent, Excellent !!!!

No suggestions from my side, just one question...with what colors did you wash and drybrush the wood....it looks awesome.... just the grey color that wood gets after a while....Splendid !!

I would love to do this sort of diorama some day....on the inside I would hide some shot down airmen or paratroopers that where still in enemy territory after the Market Garden battle..... This opens up some new ideas....well first things first. Let me finish my RMG diorama and my Airborne Jeep first...

Splendid Kevin !!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hello and thanks for the wonderful comments. Danny the way i did the wood of the barn was in this order.
1. I did a wash a very thin wash of a light grey ink.and rubbed most of it off with a towel after a few minutes.
2.I then applied a very thin wash of burnt sienna oil paints.
3.that was followed up with a locallized wash (thin again)of rawumber and lamp black in all the spaces between timbers and boards. I also applied this in nooks in the loft and in the floor support beams.
4. on the doors i drybrushed rain grey delta ceramicoat acrylic paint.
I have to do the last step on the timbers i think still a little anyway. I really liked using the inks to sorta precolor the wood it was my first time with those and I will use them again. Kancali there wasnt much trimming after the inking it all stayed pretty well intact. Once again thanks for the kind comments and I will keep everyone posted. Cheers Kevin
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:31 PM UTC
That really looks great one question how long did it actually take you ti thatch the roof. I may use this technique in some of my Nam dios the affect is really great. I have a big spool of of hay twine is this what you used.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hello, PFC the thatching went fast. It was a big old spindle of twine that did come out of a barn that I used. It was hemp twine and i cut it into about 1 3/4" pieces I held one end bunched and untwisted the other end, then just glued it to the rafter on the upper bunched end. if you can see the inside of the roof I used thread to tie it to the rafters. I did the bottom three levels in one evening and finished the rest of the roof the next night. Thanks for the comment and I found it very different making the thatched roof but I enjoyed it. I know I wouldnt hesitate to do another one. Cheers, Kevin
 _GOTOTOP