_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Tiger I Gruppe Fehrmann
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 10:40 PM UTC

Rye Field Model has send Armorama news of the 2nd of their latest offerings coming up for release, this is a Tiger I Gruppe “Fehrmann” April 1945 Northern Germany in 1/35th scale.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
Well... I suppose Rye Field will give Dragon a run for the money.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Shouldn't there be some Zimmerit somewhere on the tank?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shouldn't there be some Zimmerit somewhere on the tank?

As the last production occurred in Sept. 1944, which the date coincides with the order to stop applying Zimmerit, would it have been possible that some late production Tigers could have left the factory with no zimmerit?

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As the last production occurred in Sept. 1944, which the date coincides with the order to stop applying Zimmerit, would it have been possible that some late production Tigers could have left the factory with no zimmerit?

Well, we've not noticed any such Tiger.

David
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:20 AM UTC
Gruppe Fehrmann had older re-built Tiger I's in its detachment, so many of them came without zimmerit. I saw photos of from the 'Tigers in Combat' book.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 01:53 AM UTC
I wonder why we can't have a Tiger I with enough parts in it to build a whole bunch of historical vehicles? This obsession with Tiger Fahrgestellnummer 2133457 built at 10:30 on July 2nd, 1943 and issued to Kampfgrupper Toiletpaper where it fought one battle before being sabotaged by its crew is so disappointing, since there are many of us who like to have AN ACCURATE TIGER 1 EARLY, MID- AND LATE-WAR.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder why we can't have a Tiger I with enough parts in it to build a whole bunch of historical vehicles? This obsession with Tiger Fahrgestellnummer 2133457 built at 10:30 on July 2nd, 1943 and issued to Kampfgrupper Toiletpaper where it fought one battle before being sabotaged by its crew is so disappointing, since there are many of us who like to have AN ACCURATE TIGER 1 EARLY, MID- AND LATE-WAR.

Cause them model companies can't make money reselling the kit later with a new part so you can make a different variant.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder why we can't have a Tiger I with enough parts in it to build a whole bunch of historical vehicles?

Well, given the way Dragon mold the turret wall as a single part, with the underside detail built in, that kit would contain 5 turret shells. For example.

David
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC
The CADs are up...did they fix most of the inaccuracies from their last variants?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The dragon molded on zimmerit that I have seen is quite crude.

I don't know where you get that from!!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, given the way Dragon mold the turret wall as a single part, with the underside detail built in, that kit would contain 5 turret shells. For example.

David, if I understand you right, are you referring to interior or exterior detailing? And would it perhaps not be better NOT to build in that detail, but include parts that would work for a single turret shell? Perhaps not, I'm just suffering a bit from Tiger overload.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
The five turret shells would be these:

1. Original with 2 pistol ports

2. With a side hatch hole

3. With increased number of bolt holes on the underside (turret ring. The part that Rye Field got wrong)

4. Mid turret with a pistol port hole.

5. Without pistol port hole.

If you were to mold the turret as two halves, with a separate bottom ring, you could cut down on the number of parts. But you see the problem? A single kit for all Tigers would be replete with unused parts.

David
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 05:52 AM UTC
Yee GADS you guys...is it REALLY THAT necessary to have every possible variant of the SAME ruddy Tiger over, and over, and over...JUST because a few nuts and bolts are out of place...??!! Listen to yourselves. Get one or two, build the damn things and MOVE ON...CRIKEY...!!!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The dragon molded on zimmerit that I have seen is quite crude.

I don't know where you get that from!!

I do, from the pictures I've seen the zimmeret on their Tiger does look quite pristine and not very realistic compared to the zim on kits such as their Panzer IV.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:00 PM UTC
Well, you can't please everybody! If the zim was pre-chipped, then everybody's Tigers would look the same - especially if you have more than one in the same dio. (Whines) "Pristine" zim can be removed carefully in selected areas to make each tank different. But that requires modelling skills and tools which apparently not everyone here possess. (More whines) I remember when Dragon's Late Tiger I (with zim) was loudly applauded because of that realistic zimmerit. Looks like the applause has turned to razzberries, and more whines. My, how times, and attitudes have changed. Anyway, if you didn't like Dragon's Late Tiger I with zim, then just get the one without, and be happy!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC
I like the molded on zimm !!
champy
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
I like the look of the rye tigers and you can't blame them for adding to the ones they have already, I doubt they would have got as many comments as they have since they're first release if it hadn't been a tiger! It seems they have a few pluses when compared to other manufacturers, the tracks for example seem a big plus as well as the all important price. I hope they continue with interesting releases and a bit of diversification would be welcomed
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think Bill was calling fora an all in one early, mid and late kit. I think he is asking for an early kit that includes all major variations, mid that does, and late that does.

EXACTLY!

There most definitely IS a place for minor variants, and I applaud all the manufacturers for giving modelers these options. But for many of us, kits that would build MOST Early-, Mid- and Late- Tigers (three kits, not one, of course) would be warmly-received.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:39 PM UTC
We'd have to split the Early Tiger range into 2 kits. Those side panels and side mudguards, plus the different cable layouts on the roof.

David
 _GOTOTOP