_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Let's talk about update sets
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC
Specifically for Dragon's sd.kfz. 250/1 "Neu" smartkit.

Are there any recommendable aftermarket kits that you would consider "easy" to work with? I'm just about hopeless with PE, but then again I'm a novice with the stuff. If anyone's built the kit with or without updates, or has any opinion on PE updates in general, I'd love to hear them.

It seems like a good idea, in fact, I think it IS a good idea. But, so was the Hindenburg.

-Conor
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Specifically for Dragon's sd.kfz. 250/1 "Neu" smartkit.

Are there any recommendable aftermarket kits that you would consider "easy" to work with? I'm just about hopeless with PE, but then again I'm a novice with the stuff. If anyone's built the kit with or without updates, or has any opinion on PE updates in general, I'd love to hear them.

It seems like a good idea, in fact, I think it IS a good idea. But, so was the Hindenburg.

-Conor

The way to keep your sanity with photo etch is to ask "Do I need this part, and is it actually better than the kit part?" It's such a load off your shoulders when you finally realize you don't actually have to use everything. The thing with photo etch sets is that the designers sometimes overreach, and the brass replacement parts aren't any better than the plastic--in some cases, they are worse, since PE parts are flat, and many real components are not. So pick and choose. For instance, photo etch engine grill screens are pretty much the only logical choice, but I don't bother with photo etch tool clips on German panzers--the current Tamiya and Dragon plastic parts are perfectly adequate for my purposes. Several makers offer smaller photo etch sets for just vital things, like screens and grills, which can save you money (and aggravation).
MGunner
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:59 AM UTC

you can try the Jaguar 1:35 Detail Set #63837 for the Sdkfz 250 which is a resin set that has much of the stuff molded on to the inside of the hull sides that negates the need for alot of the photo etch stuff i have one and it looks decent although i have not used it yet and not sure how well it fits they can be found on ebay relatively inexpensive i think i got mine for about $20 it may a better option that may help you
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
I have to agree with Gerald. There was a time when I bought
PE for many of my kits, however todays kits are pretty well detailed and unless you are very hard core more often than not PE is just an aggravation that I can live without. If it comes with the kit I usually use it but you will discover that you will rarely use even 70% if not actually less of most PE sets that you buy. One example of where I did use AM PE was on the Trumpeter BMP 3(Saudi). One of the distinguishing features is the addition of turret baskets which the kit omits. Fortunately I could get just the PE baskets. Even then, on the real vehicles the supporting rods are made of round steel but the limitations of PE meant that the baskets in PE had flat strips. I could have used the PE set as a template but was too lazy and I was willing to live with the flat.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 05:08 PM UTC
I love PE, cant imagine making a model that's not covered in it. I like making tiny brass parts, soldering them and taking pictures of them to show you guys

Damn I am weird
 _GOTOTOP