_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
Moroccan Goumier Rifles
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC
Darren Baker takes a look at an interesting figure set released by ICM of Moroccan Goumier Rifles in 1/35th scale from the period of World War 2.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
Has anyone a clue about the vehicles they used, please?
Seems to be a very nice set to break the olive tones.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hello,
Goumier were pure infantry. No vehicule. They used a lot of mules.I mean a LOT.
British plate helmet was pretty standard, they didn't use M1 helmet nor they received any garand rifle, specially in 1943. Only springfield or mas36 rifles.
They mostly had nails, or french boots. They didn't have that much us equipment in 1943. Mostly french and uk, and old us one.
Julien
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:26 PM UTC
Julien; with you being French I bow to your superior knowledge, I will say however that the information I came across indicated that a mix of US infantry equipment was the norm for this unit when in Italy.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Thrilled that ICM continues to issue unique subjects! Aside from some metal and possibly resin 1/35 models, the only other injection-molded Goumiers I know of are the Heller pair. I hope that ICM continues this series of colonial and 'special' troops.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darren Baker takes a look at an interesting figure set released by ICM of Moroccan Goumier Rifles in 1/35th scale from the period of World War 2.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

HI, Darren! Thanks for the "heads-up"! These Goumiers are quite welcome, as far as I'm concerned! The discrepancies in their weaponry can be easily remedied and the figures themselves provide a very good base for simple conversions...

As a side note- According to Edwin Hoyt, author of "The GI's War", American GIs were quite taken aback by the Goumiers' habits, appearance and especially by their behavior when dealing with Germans that they had taken as prisoners of war. I won't go into detail, but German POWs didn't have a very long life-expectancy when captured by Goumiers...
ropeynz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
The goumiers in Italy were equipped, supplied and supported predominantly by the US. The French colonial troops had a horrendous reputation in Italy which negated their outstanding military feats. Ask a citizen of La Ciocciara what they think of Goums. (Or watch the movie Two Sisters starring Sophia Loren.) I believe Goum is an organisational description rather than a nationality: sort of a tribal grouping.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The goumiers in Italy were equipped, supplied and supported predominantly by the US. The French colonial troops had a horrendous reputation in Italy which negated their outstanding military feats. Ask a citizen of La Ciocciara what they think of Goums. (Or watch the movie Two Sisters starring Sophia Loren.) I believe Goum is an organisational description rather than a nationality: sort of a tribal grouping.

Vittorio de Sicca's Two Women (1960) is the right title!

ropeynz
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Vittorio de Sicca's Two Women (1960) is the right title!

Oops. Close but no cigar. Thanks for the correction.
 _GOTOTOP