_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Figure Modify Help
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 481 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi All

First time poster in here, and I have a Question I have some 1/35 scale figures that I want to use for a build but they have shorts and would like to make it so they have pants, how would I go about doing this?? I have Google-Fu'd and search here and you tube but could not find anything but making your own figures and wire armas and such. Please help.

Figure new guy.
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:11 AM UTC
Option 1: Putty over the legs and sculpt it yourself.

Option 2: Use the legs from another figure and the torsos arms etc from the one you want to use. Use putty to fill in the gaps.

Either way you will be using some putty.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hello Eugene, if you want to change shorts to trousers, then use 2 part epoxie sculpt or similiar and fill them in and do the creases. Use a similiar figure with trousers for comparison to get the creases right. I have done myself in the past, it sounds worse than what it is. Try using some talcum powder to keep it from sticking as you roll out sections to fill in the pants. The thinner the better. Hope this helps Eugene. Best of luck......Dale
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:35 AM UTC
Ok I have squadron putty, and regular milliput will these work. And also any suggestions on heads. I am using some old Tamiya British Infantry figures and the faces are rough and expresionless.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:18 PM UTC
Of the two, Milliput is better suited to this application. Other two-part epoxy putties of similar consistency are available.

For heads, resin tends to offer much better definition (assuming that the master pattern had it in the first place) and Hornet and others make good ones. You can find examples with particular types of headgear (German caps and helmets of all types, Soviet tank helmets etc.) or use bare heads and add hats of your choice. To make the heads fit, drill out the neck of the torso so that enough of the head's neck is inside - nothing gives away an aftermarket head like an overly long neck.
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi Eugene, I would use the miliput. As for heads, check out the 2 or 3 different sets by Ultracast. They have British heads with mk 2 or 3 helmets with or without netting. You can get these at www.barrel store.com. Hope this helps.....Dale
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:37 PM UTC
You may get a few ideas from this campaign thread: 'Improve Your Figures'

HTH
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok I have squadron putty, and regular milliput will these work. And also any suggestions on heads. I am using some old Tamiya British Infantry figures and the faces are rough and expresionless.

The Superfine White Milliputt is best for figure sculpting, but legions of hairy chested figure modelers used the ordinary stuff in the old days before the red and white types were added for artistic purposes (Milliputt was originally a plumbing product). It is very sticky, so get it roughly in place on the part, then use water to prevent it sticking to you and your tools (don't introduce the water until the putty is in place on the part, since you DO want it to stick to the model. A tool (hobby knife, toothpick, mini-screwdriver, or any other tool you can devise) dipped in water will smooth out the putty and allow you to sculpt the folds and such. Some builders prefer talcum powder to reduce the stickiness.
Thundergrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
Thanks all for the tips I am have problems on you tube finding this and a good painting tutorial all are busts or like 1/16 nothing good in 1/35
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
I have found several useful articles by Googling "figure painting technique".
 _GOTOTOP