_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
filling joints
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC
Ever have a hair line joint seam, or surgery cut line, that is narrow and shallow? Where Squadron putty won't grip and just crumbles out when you sand; and where epoxy putty is just too stiff and lumpy to work easily? And if you just leave it, it will stand out like a sore thumb, after painting? I use stretched sprue. Glue an appropriately size piece of stretched sprue along the gap, and saturate it with liquid glue - much like doing weld seams. When the stretched sprue is sufficiently saturated it becomes soft and you can squash it down flat and fill the gap. Leave it to set up for a couple of hours, or overnight. The stretched sprue and kit have fused into one. Sand smooth and the hairline gap has disappeared! If color is an issue, you can use sprue from the same kit.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:04 PM UTC
You can use white glue, as well. Apply it. Wipe off the excess and allow to dry. The only problem is that it is not sandable. Gunze dissolved putty works nearly as well and is sandable.
Drac67
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the idea !

Marc
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can use white glue, as well. Apply it. Wipe off the excess and allow to dry. The only problem is that it is not sandable. Gunze dissolved putty works nearly as well and is sandable.

The trouble with most liquid fillers is that they shrink as they dry, and require several layers until the gap is filled.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:47 PM UTC
I'm using mr Surfacer 500 then level it out with nail polish cleaner (the one with acetone).
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:47 PM UTC
For filling seams, use Magic-Sculpt.It doesn't shrink, can be smoothed with a wet fingertip and is sandable. Now...... filling joints... Panama Red is a good choice

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The trouble with most liquid fillers is that they shrink as they dry, and require several layers until the gap is filled.

I have yet to encounter shrinking, with dissolved putty.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For filling seams, use Magic-Sculpt.It doesn't shrink, can be smoothed with a wet fingertip and is sandable. Now...... filling joints... Panama Red is a good choice

As a New Yorker, wouldn't Sour Diesel be a better choice?
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As a New Yorker, wouldn't Sour Diesel be a better choice?

It all boils down to personal preferences. I'll meet you at Bryant Park.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
I'm not up to slogging through the mess up there at the moment. I'll just stay down here in Georgia and enjoy the pitiful slush fading away in my front yard.

Maybe some other time.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC
Washington window-box!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ever have a hair line joint seam, or surgery cut line, that is narrow and shallow? Where Squadron putty won't grip and just crumbles out when you sand; and where epoxy putty is just too stiff and lumpy to work easily? And if you just leave it, it will stand out like a sore thumb, after painting? I use stretched sprue. Glue an appropriately size piece of stretched sprue along the gap, and saturate it with liquid glue - much like doing weld seams. When the stretched sprue is sufficiently saturated it becomes soft and you can squash it down flat and fill the gap. Leave it to set up for a couple of hours, or overnight. The stretched sprue and kit have fused into one. Sand smooth and the hairline gap has disappeared! If color is an issue, you can use sprue from the same kit.

I just tried your suggested method for the first time today, and it was GREAT! It really worked well. I still needed to use a bit of glue along the top of the melted sprue, which made a bit more mess than should be the case after a bit more practice, but the concept is wonderful! Thanks for the idea.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:49 PM UTC
After applying the piece of stretched sprue you have to brush it with several coats of liquid glue to soften it. I use Tamiya Thin because it has a convenient fine tip applicator brush. You can control the glue and confine it to a smaller area. Some care will be needed not to put glue over adjacent detail areas...but then equal care must be taken with whatever filling method is used. Glad my method worked well for you!
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:58 AM UTC

My ghod! Big Bambu! I haven't heard that in years. Was funny as hell though when I was a teenager.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:[]--

My ghod! Big Bambu! I haven't heard that in years. Was funny as hell though when I was a teenager.

LOL I still have the album and the gigantic rolling paper that goes with it
 _GOTOTOP