_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Shanghai Dragon T-72, T-80?
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 05:58 PM UTC
Are these kits any good? I can't dig up anything on them...
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are these kits any good? I can't dig up anything on them...

Old reviews I seen in the old Military Modeler magazine complained of accuracy, fit, and dimension issues with their T72. Their T80 had similar fit issues - and sink marks with the ERA. But supposedly they at least had figures.

Note that these were some of the earliest DML offerings made - so they were still "working things out" back then, much as where we have been with Trumpeter until recent, and Academy before as well.

Get the Tamiya T72.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 06:54 PM UTC
I will recommend the Tamiya one. It has excellent fit and good details despite a high price. Too bad you have to order it on the net. BTW, STC branches accept pre ordering overseas. You may want to order that kit from them and wait for it to ship.
yorkie
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
I have built these kits when they first came out in late 80's. Actually they are not that bad, and quite good kits at that time.

But they are far from today's DML standard, and that's why they are offered in Shanghai Dragon brand (actually most of DML's kit are made in China now). It is still better than the current standard of Trumpeter in my opinion.

These kits, along with their earlier kits like the BMP's and some Soviet armour cars, are not a "regular release" from DML. Some of these kits are available in Eastern European brands re-box, and command a high price.

Now these kits are mainly for China market, price for T-72, T-80 is something like 8-9USD each or even less. If you're getting them in China, they are of great value. (actually the price for the new kits are selling at similar pricing, so if you have friends going to China, ask them to dig up some kits for you)

Some Hong Kong dealers will "import" these from China, and sell the T80and T72 at 12-13 USD.

But since these kits usually ask for higher price in other countries, then they don't worth it.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
As said before, early Dragon kits were fidgety builds. They did give us the first fairly accurate T-72 and only T-80 at the time. I've got all versions of both kits to inclued the Kirin Iraqi Lion of Babylon and Kuwaiti M-84.

Tamiya T-72 is more accurate and a better build. The Skif T-80 is more accurate as well but the details are cruder. I recommend them if the price is right (under $10) and commend Dragon for giving us modern Soviet armor in the late 80s. I'll always think highly of them since they gave me a T-72, T-80, BMP-1 and BMP-2 before anyone else.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC
I have built both of these kits and they are not bad kits. I used concords book on the T-72 to make it more accurate. The Tamiya kit is a much better kit though.
 _GOTOTOP