_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1st Tank; 1/35 Tiger 1 Mid Inter/PE Build Log
nvmextc
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:32 PM UTC
I just got into modelling and am working on my first tank. I received this as a present and when I saw you could display the interior decided I want to get alot of PE and take my time to make this look really good.

I want to build this with minimal weathering, fresh from the factory. I've been researching alot to accurately find a tank to base this on, the kit provides camo instructions for 3 tanks. But looking for photos of these tanks all 3 wrong in some way, ie Zimmerit, central headlight, track cables, camo color. If anyone can recommend any specific mid variants or references it would be greatly appreciated!

So far I've gotten the following for it;
Eduard 35518 Tiger Mid Interior PE
Eduard 35521 Tiger Mid Zimmerit PE

Waiting on;
Eduard 35520 Tiger Mid Exterior PE
Aber KwK36 l/56 Metal Barrel (Early Model)
Aber MG34 Barrels

Looking for;
KwK 8.8cm shells
Tow and Track Cables
Radio Antenna's

I was thinking about getting a more detailed resin engine but you don't see it much and it would make me want to overhaul the power transfer unit and floor supports to make it all look 100%. I think all this Eduard PE will be enough. Was looking at the Aber mudguards for a while since they are movable and would make this way more realistic, but it seemed pretty hard for my first time using PE!

I've been working on it for about a month now, keep waiting on stuff to arrive for it and planning how I'm going to build it. I'm painting alot of the interior parts before they go in so am trying to sort all them out first. Here's some pics of what I've done so far.

Mecsweden
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:59 PM UTC
Really nice work, looking forward to see more of it

Cheers Magnus
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:30 PM UTC
Really nice job so far. Looking forward to your next update. Best regards....Dale
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the kit provides camo instructions for 3 tanks. But looking for photos of these tanks all 3 wrong in some way,

Academy's decals in this kit 1387 are pretty much wrong in every way; colour, font, size, and even the real Tiger not being the same type as the kit.

If you want more accurate decals then you have many options, since the kit provides Feifels and a travel lock, covering a long period of time.

What did you have in mind?

David
nvmextc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the kit provides camo instructions for 3 tanks. But looking for photos of these tanks all 3 wrong in some way,

Academy's decals in this kit 1387 are pretty much wrong in every way; colour, font, size, and even the real Tiger not being the same type as the kit.

If you want more accurate decals then you have many options, since the kit provides Feifels and a travel lock, covering a long period of time.

What did you have in mind?

David

I want to built it as something from early 44, rubber road wheels, no fiefels, 20 ton jack.

I was thinking Tiger 321 seen here, but I can't find any images of it with track cables on the zimmerit which I want to include.

This looks good but not sure which # it is

I might end up going with Tiger 221;
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
You know Tiger 221 is a T-55 in disguise, right?
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC
OP, have a look at this thread for ideas

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/196822#1648136

I might actually get round to finishing it soon !
nvmextc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know Tiger 221 is a T-55 in disguise, right?

I didn't realise. Though now I notice the tracks and the top of the turret don't look right. I found these earlier photos and thought it was the same tank?

SDavies, I've been looking at your thread alot the last couple of weeks, really amazing work! I wish I could make mine as detailed. Looking forward to more updates from you
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:14 PM UTC
For a first build you are doing great ,, and I hope having fun ,, welcome to the Fun House...lol

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:17 PM UTC
The 101st SS in Normandy had several Tigers matching your kit, including "321". It would have had a track cable on the left side, as usual.
We have an actual colour photo proving that the 3rd company digits were blue. See:

http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=35&sid=7585e9a36e6aa297402e11d3a0d24ea9

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found these earlier photos and thought it was the same tank?

The second photo there shows a couple of models, not real tanks.

David
nvmextc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 06:48 PM UTC
Thanks Byrden. Was trying to find a collection of images like this. I like having a photo of the unit I'm building, mainly to display with it when I'm done.

I found some blue number decals and think I've settled on Tiger 321 now, will weather it a bit and show it before going into battle

I'm still learning alot, I really enjoy researching these tanks and want to learn more.
 _GOTOTOP