_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Sand dune
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
I am thinking of half burying a tank in a beach sand and was widening if carving the base out of foam to nestle around the tank, covering with glue and then using real sand makes sense?

Or is there a better way? I a, trying to represent a tank turned around on a beach and being used as a shore battery, abandoned and being discovered and uncovered years later. Does this makes sense? I know this a the place to find answers!

Thanks in advance!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am thinking of half burying a tank in a beach sand and was widening if carving the base out of foam to nestle around the tank, covering with glue and then using real sand makes sense
Thanks in advance!

That would work, but I would use a thin layer of Celluclay over the foam to make a smooth surface before spreading sand. I have arts and crafts shop sand for that use as it's finer than typical beach sand, and comes in a variety of colors.
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks! Is Celluclay a hobby shop staple?

I am ordering some spray bottle type glue from HobbyLinc... is that the way to go?

I am an airplane/auto kind of guy and so this is a new challenge...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:58 AM UTC
Some hobby shops stock Celluclay, Michael's might also have it. It could also appear under a different name as it's also instant papier mache. As for the glue, you don't need anything fancy - brushed on diluted white glue will work well.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:45 PM UTC
I wouldn't recommend using real sand, though. Would look much too out of scale. At that scale sand would look very smooth. You'll want to end up with something with the look of very fine finishing sandpaper I would think.

Good luck! Sounds like an interesting concept!

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't recommend using real sand, though. Would look much too out of scale. At that scale sand would look very smooth.

Yes, you are right Mark....in some parts of the world, beach sand
in extremely fine.

A suggestion for a scale like appearance of some the finer beach sand:

Baking soda or as some call it, sodium bicarbonate.

Works well.

Cheers,
Joe
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC
Consider using powdered limestone for the beach sand. It isn't too hard to find. i have gotten it from companies that make gravestones. To them it is garbage... The colour is very good, and it is much finer than any sand you will find.
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:59 AM UTC
Excellent ideas all... since I will build the "dune" out of foam, it will only need a cover of "sand"... I wouldn't want any dust flying around while it is moving from place to place...

Under the surface of the water, should I use the rough acrylic sand for the bottom working to a finer acrylic gel right at the water line?

And do I stain the sand at the water line with a color to get it to darken where the water would have lapped up and then receded?
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
The suggestion to use powdered limestone is meant to be fixed with white wood glue+water, or my favourite, Liquitex Matte Medium. It might darken the limestone a bit; you can lighten it with drybrushing paint...

The matte medium, also under different brand names can be found in art supply stores.
Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:07 AM UTC
Or use Chinchilla sand. Those rodents need a dust/sandbath and you can buy special sand for that in petstores. Its much finer than beach or builder sand.
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:18 PM UTC
Chinchilla sand... good suggestions all!
 _GOTOTOP