_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What colour for washing King Tiger?
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Well i finished the paint job, its a standard 3 colour scheme (yellow/green/brown) so i have few questions now:

1. What technique (filter?) should i use to blend the camouflage? Oil wash with some yellow? or enamel wash? Note that model IS painted in enamels (Revell)

2. Can i wash it with wark brown oil colour?

3. What colour should i use for drybrush? grey? brown? light grey?

tnx in advance for replyes

Sensei
Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 12:43 AM UTC
No one? pls someone answer i need this info otherwise ill have to improvise
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi. Okay, my washing experience is, to say the least, not very extensive, but I'll pass this on from my experience. I 've had real good luck with Raw Umber or Raw Umber and a little Mars black. Or you maybe some raw umber and burnt sienna. Depends on how dark or light you want it to be. I just use this very sparingly to let it flow down into all the little cracks and crevices and such.

As far as drybrushing goes, since you have the 3-color camo, I'd say a dryburhsing with lightened colors of the three basic paints you've used, then a little 'dust' ,grime, etc. and the usual things like that.

Experiment on some other stuff to see if this is what you're going for on your 'kitty'.

Take care, Sgirty
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
I use Raw Umber on exterior Armor......
Bus
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
tO BLEND THE CAMOUFLAGE, THIN THE DARK YELLOW(VERY THINNED) AND AIRBRUSH ON THE TANK(ON LIGHT COATS).I USE A MIXTURE OF RAW UMBER AND BURNT SIENNA TO MY WASHES
Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

tO BLEND THE CAMOUFLAGE, THIN THE DARK YELLOW(VERY THINNED) AND AIRBRUSH ON THE TANK(ON LIGHT COATS).I USE A MIXTURE OF RAW UMBER AND BURNT SIENNA TO MY WASHES

hmmm..i got a thought on that idea but why didnt i do it? maybe becouse i dont have an airbrush
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
I would wash with a mix of about 2/3 black with 1/3 burnt sienna. I usually put two very light washes on to set the tone(5% paint- 95% thinner). After that I 'pin' wash(detail wash) with a much heavier wash along panel lines and around bolts, etc. 15-25% paint to thinner. I would then drybrush with very lightened colors of the camo. I have used this procedure to my satisfaction on NATO 3 color schemes
capnjock
Sensei
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
Thanks to all for replying, im gonna tryout some of this stuff tonight

My 1/72 dio showing a T34-85 passing buy an abandoned king tiger (no fuel & ammo) is closing to an end... a bit of ground work and finishing the Tiger and pics will be somewhere here...
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 07:04 AM UTC
I use different colors for my filters ...on my last Hetzer I used a filter of olive green oil paint ,then I used Modelmasters beige ,both thinned to about 95% and when all this was dry I used burnt Umber thinned to about 80% as the deep wash to get those details to stand out ...Sorry I didn't get back to you before this ....Superbowl Sunday finished kinda late ...just crawling out of my Cave here now ...lol

Rick
 _GOTOTOP