_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Hobby Boss: WWI and WWII Releases Roundup
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:04 AM UTC

Rounding up some WWI and WWII items that we can expect to see Hobby Boss release shortly: a couple of new releases, three new variants on previous releases and another TriStar reissue.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC
Csaba AC GOOD! Serie 1 -223 pretty good, too - or at least potentially interesting. PS: Compared to the Serie 5 late production -223 HB previously made; Serie 1 -223 built using the earlier series SdKfz 222 hull with the larger step-back raised area over the driver, simple vision flaps, turn-signals up on the hull sides, angular antenna mounts with a different operating rod for raising and lowering the frame (while this antenna style was also used on that first -223 kit by HB, it is WRONG for that later version car... ), and probably an MG-13 instead of the later version MG-34. The interior was also different between earlier and last-Serie (5) cars - but as HB blew the interior on the other kit (no radio sets for a radio car? No antenna operating bits, etc.), and I don't know what HB will offer in THIS kit... I cannot comment, other than to say that the radio set and racks were different, as were many other interior details. The late T-28 looks interesting - I want to build ONE of these multi-turret monsters, and this may be the one. And the FlaKpanzer 38(t) M... The original Tristar kit was quite nice and replete inside and out with super detail. I suspect that Trumpeter / HB will be passing along that kit in its nice entirety under new management. Worth it for any 38(t) variant fan!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC
So, Bob, perhaps this 223 kit will also use bits from their 222 kit, which I think I read does have a full interior. I have read that the first 223s were based on the 222 body, but I didn't want to go speculating too much that this was the case here based on just that one image.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:09 AM UTC
Matt L.;

Yes, the 223 were built up using the current-serie 222 bodies, with modifications to the roof for the smaller turret, addition of the frame antenna and its mounts and operating system, installation of a substantial radio set and all the related hardware, and a different pedestal for that dinkier 223 turret. There were a bunch of interior detail mods - deletion of the 2cm ammo racks and such, addition of a storage bin and a small map table and a jump seat, etc. Basically, a 223 was a down-gunned 222 with addition of a radio suite - and not a reworked 221 (even though the 223 also had a tiny MG turret, like that 221. The hull and interior were different.) And 223 were produced even after the 222 had stopped production, while the 221 went out of production much earlier in the war.

I loved the first HB 223 model, albeit HB really did blow both the interior (no radio suite, etc.! Lots of other wrong stuff) AND the frame antenna and its mounts. Basically, HB gave us a late-war serie-5 223 hull with an earlier-war frame antenna and mounts. I ended up scratching in part of the radio-racks, the map table, the jump seat and other stuff in back and the radio op's seat and map table up front, and a whole new antenna system.

I'm hoping that HB includes an interior in this new kit - they almost have to, given it is visible through the turret and roof whether the hull doors are closed or not. And they have been generous with their other 22x kits in this regard. I really hope that this time they give us some radio racks and stuff, this being a radio car, after all! I don't expect that the interior will be very accurate, albeit hope springs eternal.

Another, more subtle area of concern is the suspension... Which version will HB include?

But regardless, whether one obsesses and tries to fix it for accuracy or just builds it up "as is", these SdKfz 22x kits are a lot of solid modeling pleasure in my opinion, and there's plenty to fiddle with for those who wish to. I'm pretty sure that HB will keep pretty much to their established form with this one, and I'll probably get one to add to my future Viking send-off, if not to actually build!

Bob
sounder
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:18 PM UTC
just bring on the leopard 2a4m that is the kit
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rounding up some WWI and WWII items that we can expect to see Hobby Boss release shortly: a couple of new releases, three new variants on previous releases and another TriStar reissue.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Thank You, Matthew!

TRUMPETER, HOBBY BOSS and MERIT, who work hand-in-glove with each other, have got quite a line-up for 2016, with new items to keep a broad spectrum of 1/35, 1/48 and 1/350 modellers happy!

I especially LIKE the idea of these 3 manufacturers covering WWI, Inter-war, WWII, and "Modern" subjects... :-)--
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:45 PM UTC
Are HB just rereleasing the Tristar kits or are they going to realise new variants using the parts.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:45 PM UTC
Love the Leichter Panzerspahwagen. Can't have too many radio vehicles and recce denizens!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
The Tristar kits are released in the same format as they were by Tristar, this does include the amount of photo etched parts that were included. I have a couple of them and the price in the UK makes these exceptional kits to pick up.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are HB just rereleasing the Tristar kits or are they going to realise new variants using the parts.

It's a great thing, I think, that HB is actually bringing these old Tristar kits out just as originally done, complete with link tracks, interior stuff, engines in some kis, and, in many cases, more than a little PE.

That said, YES, I, too think that it could be nice were HB to maybe build on the fine bases provided by some of these ex-Tristar kits... Of course, this would entail developing new runner trees and parts for the new variants in the lines - and it would be fair to expect that these new modified kits could come at some higher price.

Cheers!

Bob
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 01:38 AM UTC
Vickers medium, that's me sorted
 _GOTOTOP