_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Building resin tracks
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi all,
Usually I just build straight out of the box but this time Ive added to my build with Accurate Armour add ons. Ive never used resin before and opted for the resin tracks for the Warrior I'm building but they come with no guidance so I'm at a bit of a loss to start and don't really want to go to the academy rubber tracks so can I get some tips and tricks here?

Any help at all would be great

Thanks
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Martin;

"Yea"--Resin can be Diffacult too work with, as it requires Super Glue for Adhiseves and requires precise build work, Meaning less Error Tolerance ! And once you Commit your parts to the adhiseves there is no pulling them apart. So Dry Fitting is A Must. Now depending which brand of Super Glue thats available, then you can use differend viscousity of the medium, try the Gel and use A Tooth Pick too Apply it to your parts. Individual track links are a pain too work with anyway, start with your Drive Sprocket first and then the main road wheel, then build in short lenghts and add them as you go, making sure they are strait and not twisted. Take your Time and Don't Rush it.

GA-DAY MATE !; MIKE.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Getting resin track lengths to curve around sprockets and idlers can be very challenging as can ensuring that when you link the ends of track together they come out right (not too loose and not a gap with a nice smooth transition)

For the former, near boiling water is what's needed. Get the track nice and warm and then wrap it around the idler or sprocket. Choose the sprocket to start as it's easier to adjust at the idler. Still, though, it can be really challenging to get resin track to smoothly join up when sections are joined together. getting the sag in the right place can be a pain and clean up can be difficult.

I have had several sets of resin track in my time and they suffered from occasional bubbles that obliterated the fine detail of end connectors and track teeth while also being difficult to clean up and nearly impossible to assemble into a nice smooth run of track. Frankly I'll never buy another.

Paul
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
thanks for the advice guys
 _GOTOTOP