_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 2 Non-desertised
despot
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC
First of all, I'm not knowledgeable about challies.
I'd like to ask if it is possible to build a non-desertised Challenger 2 with Tamiya Challenger 2 (Desertised) model kit?
If so, what should I change or omit?

I dislike sand paint and I'd like to have a 2 tone camo (don't know if there was a 3 tone camo on Challies).
Thanks in advance
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
No the kit does not include the parts to build an earlier (non-desertized) Chally. You would need to replace the side skirts, exhaust covers and outlets, front armor and a few other pieces I am sure that I am missing. You would be better off getting a standard Chally II kit, as oppose to attempting to backdate this one.

Also, no, Chally IIs (no British Army vehicles for that matter) are in 3-color NATO camo. The Brits use their own Bronze Green and Black 2-color scheme.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, no, Chally IIs (no British Army vehicles for that matter) are in 3-color NATO camo. The Brits use their own Bronze Green and Black 2-color scheme.

I think it's actually NATO green and Black
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
It may be the same as NATO Green now. I know at one time it was Bronze Green, which looks pretty close to NATO Green anyways.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It may be the same as NATO Green now. I know at one time it was Bronze Green, which looks pretty close to NATO Green anyways.

Bronze Green was last used in the very early 70's. When Black and Green was introduced.

Keith.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
You may be able to use the Accurate Armour Challenger 2 update set.

Although designed for the Trumpeter Challenger 2 kits it may work for the Tamiya Challenger. Tamiya dropped the ball by not following up with a basic Challenger 2 kit after the release of the desertised version.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=35&product=1345
despot
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:27 PM UTC
Thank you very much for the reply.
So It's better to get a standard Challenger 2 for the 2 color camo.
According to scalemates, there are Airfix and Trumpeter ones and I'm not sure if they are as good as Tamiya one. Any suggestion?
Or should I get Tamiya Challenger I and AA upgrade set for chally 2.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 05:42 PM UTC
The Trumpeter Challenger II KFOR version is a pretty good kit. Their original Challenger II had some issues that were corrected in this version. It can be built w/o the blade as well.

I don't know anything about the Airfix kit.
Gloddest
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi all,

I seem to recall reading that the Airfix Challenger II kit is a reboxing of the Trumpeter kit.

Regards

G
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Or should I get Tamiya Challenger I and AA upgrade set for chally 2.

Although the Chally 1 and Chally 2 look similar they are completely different tanks, the AA set is an upgrade for the Trumpeter or Tamiya Chally 2 kits NOT for upgrading a Chally 1.
They do however have a upgrade set for the Tamiya Chally 1 which corrects some detail and dimensions.
BlackDog661
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First of all, I'm not knowledgeable about challies.
I'd like to ask if it is possible to build a non-desertised Challenger 2 with Tamiya Challenger 2 (Desertised) model kit?
If so, what should I change or omit?

I dislike sand paint and I'd like to have a 2 tone camo (don't know if there was a 3 tone camo on Challies).
Thanks in advance

You could try the Osprey book on Modelling the Challenger I and II tanks. Some superb work in there. A simple way to a basic Challenger II would be not to fit the add pack armour and use the side skirts (if you can get them - ask on here, someone might have a spare set) from the Trumpeter II kit. They need a little work to get them to fit the Tamiya kit, but It would be worth it...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I seem to recall reading that the Airfix Challenger II kit is a reboxing of the Trumpeter kit.

Regards

G

The Airfix and Hobbycraft boxings are the revised Trumpeter Challenger 2 kit with the standard scalloped side skirts, but not the ROMOR armor upgrades seen in Iraq or the former Yugoslavia. Trumpeter's own boxings include both options. Trumpeter did a second revision of the kit which includes the slat armor for the sides and rear, and a revised upper turret molding (with a more positive location for the main gun trunnions, which could easily be mispositioned on the earlier kits). It also includes a set of the more recent perforated road wheels. Mine is in storage right now, and I don't recall if they included the original scalloped skirts or not.
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC
I didn't know the Airfix kits were revised how much work did they do and what areas are revised.

Many thanks Ben.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't know the Airfix kits were revised how much work did they do and what areas are revised.

Many thanks Ben.

The initial production run of Trumpeter's Challenger 2 was an embarrassment--apparently, they had had a ship date that was locked in, and the model wasn't ready on time. Not only were there errors, the molds weren't even finished. The turret side had swirl marks where the mold hadn't been polished out, and some turret detail was flat out missing. The hubcaps were all molded off-center, the engine deck grills were the wrong length, and the inner and outer road wheels were not even the same thickness-- I could go on, but you can find reviews online if you're curious. Mercifully, that kit is long gone.

Needless to say, Trumpeter was lambasted on the web, so they went back and retooled most of the model, addressing the issues I mention above. The two Trumpeter boxings depicting tanks serving in Kosovo and the Iraq War are the second version of the kit. These parts are also seen in the Hobbycraft and Airfix boxes, but without the appliqué armor packs or dozer blade.

More recently, Trumpeter went back and improved many parts when they issued their late Iraq War version with the slat armor, so that is version number three.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:43 AM UTC
If you look on Prime Portal you'll find a walk round of a "desertised" Chally II painted in green/black. Otherwise your only choice for non desertised is one of the early Trumpeter kits. Although the uparmoured Chally (bar armour)/from Trumpeter is meant to be painted green.
Pete
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:55 PM UTC
Unless a miracle occurred during the third attempt, I'd avoid the Trumpy/Airfix kit and concentrate on backdating the Tamiya kit instead. (You could find a cheapo Airfix kit to rob the side skirts from...)

I built the Airfix kit last year, and it was a painful & unrewarding experience. Most of it fitted badly, with lots of sanding, scraping, and packing-out to do. At least the Tamiya hull & turret will build up without a fight!

(That's my tuppence...)
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unless a miracle occurred during the third attempt, I'd avoid the Trumpy/Airfix kit and concentrate on backdating the Tamiya kit instead. (You could find a cheapo Airfix kit to rob the side skirts from...)

(That's my tuppence...)

I got mine from Accurate Armour ... great customer service, maybe they can help you out with some of theirs ?

Cheers
Christopher
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:59 AM UTC
The trumpeter side skirts donot fit other bits also do not fit tryed this a few years back.
Marked out on card and cut new ones made all the other bits by hand.
normal put picture up but find it hard work on here.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi all Challenger 2's would have started out NATO Green and then either NATO Black for the majority and Sand for the OPFOR/Battle Group vehicles at BATUS (Canada) and SPTA (Salisbury Plain UK), The Bovington example is operated by the trials team and is better known as 'Megatron'. It has the add on armour package but is likely to be a dummy set up along with the slat armour and anti IED fittings.

The later offerings from Trumpter are not all bad but you could with some work back date the Tamiya kit, although it may be easier to work on the Trumpeter kit. You can add the Bronco tracks cheaper than Fruils but twice the work.
 _GOTOTOP