_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
DML T-80 w/ERA #3505
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi All,
I want to build the DML T-80 w/ERA #3505 for a "nostalgia" category at one of the show I go to later in the year. I know the kit is a mess and probably way off as far as dimensions and detail is concerned. THAT being said, what is it TRYING to be? The category stipulates out of the box only (as per IPMS rules), so I can't go trying to fix things (and truthfully I'd just go pick up a better kit). Any pointers?
Regards,
Georg
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:51 AM UTC
I have the same kit and in kind of the same boat trying to decide how much I want to sink into it. There are a number of things wrong including but not limited to: turret shape, tracks(too wide), and gun barrel(too big). If you do a search on Armorama for T-80 one of the local experts does a rundown on all the problems and potential fixes. Fixes don't apply in your case but you may get a better idea of the short comings. Good luck.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi;

IMHO I think I would find another subject, as the early DML Soviet MBT series were Pretty Awful. Just about the only Good thing was there Box Art.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:00 AM UTC
It can be built up decently. One pointer is to leave off the top run of tracks once they are hidden behind the side skirts and fenders...they will not be seen and they are too wide, so they interfere with the side skirts and such for the top run.

I recommend you close all hatches as well. Otherwise, it should be a simple but ok kit to build. Have fun is the catch phrase with this.
 _GOTOTOP