_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on Takom's Chieftain tracks
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC
Anyone build a Takom Chieftain and have this happen to them with the tracks? The instructions say make 97 links per side, but I had to use 101 per side! Now I've used the lot and I am supposed to have at least 2 left for spare track links...

I need to figure out how this could have happened or my next 2 Chiefys will have no spares either. In fact I counted only 201 links in the next box, so I will either have to spread 'em out a bit or leave some out under the side skirts!
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hi,
according to Simon Dunstanīs book Chieftain has 96 track links per side when new. When such track gets worn out, it lenghtens so that a couple of links are taken out. So, 97 makes sence to me, but is just 1 more than on the real vehicle. No idea why you needed more, I donīt have started my kit yet. Do you have track sag with the 101 that you need. Chieftain has always a track sag between the return rollers. However I am interested to hear other`s opinions...

Andreas
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
I've just fitted one track last night and it took 100 links with a reasonable amount of track sag and painted wheels. I got 202 links in my kit so I just have enough. Unfortunately there is no way of adjusting the idler without some surgery. 97 Links would seem impossible to achieve but 98/99 might be if there is no sag (and I guess there really isn't a need for any unless you are leaving off the bazooka plates
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
I fitted one side with sag but it left me short for the other side so I fitted that side without sag and just had enough with the two spares on the rear.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
sounds like Takom underestimated....a few spares wouldn't go amiss. Now I'll have to check my Mk11 kit.
Ok my Mk11 has 207 links in the box..
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:39 PM UTC
Oh wow and I didn't even have sag! The one thing I did do is clean the links up as there was some real subtle flash on some. Maybe that very slight sanding of the seam allowed the tracks to snug up when cementing hence the 101. Still hard to see that getting down to 96 or 97 though, so for real strict accuracy there is still room for after market! I liked that Takom did the pads separately so you have the option to paint them first but I guess still not perfect.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Sounds like you may have the idlers fitted incorrectly...
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 12:54 AM UTC
I did wonder that myself but I quadruple checked them! Even tried switching left and right - doesn't work - the tracks foul the idler mount.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC
I don't remember how many I used, but I had a few links left over from my Mk10 AND the spares on the hull rear. They didn't foul anywhere either, one of the best indi-link tracks I've done in fact.
The only change from the instructions was to get the tracks on the vehicle and then add the rubber pads.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did wonder that myself but I quadruple checked them! Even tried switching left and right - doesn't work - the tracks foul the idler mount.

If you PM me your e mail I will send you a pic of mine. I can't post it here because I don't have a web host for photos
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 01:58 AM UTC
PM sent
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
I also had tracks fouling the idler mount, due I think to the sloppy fit of idler axles and wheels. Once I twaeked the axles everything seemed to fit ok. I haven't counted how many tracks I used but I can tell you that evey ex-crewmember of Cheiftains I've spoke to said the tracks had to be kept tight or they would throw, so no track sag!

HTH
Andy
TankManNick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
Well my idler mounts match Steve J's pictures, so I think I'm good there. I did take a close look at the build logs out there and I think I just need to make sure there is a slight gap between links. This makes sense since the real things have to move, but a bit trickier when cementing together some 100 links per side! This is one case where a jig would make sense. Have to consider making one next time.
 _GOTOTOP