_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Dio idea Vietnam wall
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
I found this picture and am going to try and figure out how to incorperate in to a dio. My only question is is there a way to take the modern soldier and his son out of the pic. I thought about using photo paper and print the back ground out and just scratchbuilding the sidewalk and try to find a couple of figures that might would work. Give me some input on this I think it would be great dio.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 07:55 AM UTC
To answer the question - sure - if you have time patience and Photoshop you can 'get rid' of whatever you want.
Did you notice the "Your Text Here" in the image on the left side above the kneeling reflection?

Another thing to is to search for other images of the wall and see if you find an alternate version. This one has a funny angle of the wall and side walk that I suspect would be hard to duplicate.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 09:34 AM UTC
I remember seeing a dio of that scene with just one man outside and his former comrades inside the wall. Very moving.
If I recall, there was a clear center section allowing the viewer to see the figures 'inside' and the names on the outer edges

VLS makes several refugee sets with children in them. A standing modern figure shouldn't be too hard to kitbash. DML's Viernam era figures would work for the inside.

interesting project idea. Keep us posted.

Mike

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 05:22 PM UTC
PFC, go for it, and make it great, im sure you will cheers
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 11:07 PM UTC
Ola People

Well after seeing that lovely drawing my question is why not make a nice complete 3D dio out of it it is doable and I think it will be stunning when finished.

My idea is something like this: Try to find a good picture of the wall. One that is taken from the front not at an angle. In photoshop you make it half transparant. and print it on a transparant sheet for the overhead projector. Cut it out and there you will have you glossy/shiny wall section. On one side you put the modern soldier (Think that would not be too hard to find) The kid would also not be such a big problem only you have to do some scratching on the VLS refugee figures that MLD mentioned and make it a bit more modern.
For the soldiers in the reflection of the wall you put on the otherside a couple of Nam soldiers from DML like these sets:

and this one wich isn`t too clear came from the DML site itself:

Now the figures are more or less the suggestion of the reflections in the wall itself and I think when done good this will be a real winner amongst dio`s

1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
I am currently doing the same dio it seems. i used model railroad people and modern figures. I made a mold out of sheet metal and then used plaster of paris. I spray paited the wall and used a dermel tool with a sewing needle to scible the panel lines and the names. i am doing part of it, mainly due to size a 1/35 scale of the entire was wuold be appx 16 feet long so i opted to do just the center and outward, it will be about 8 feet long and 3 feet wide. i made a mold for the bricks and a mold for the sidewall, The problem is getting the lights in front of the Wall. As far as mementos left at the wall i used the doll house stuff. Good Luck and keep posted, i am trying to have my ready by Veterans day this year so i can display it.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Im glad to see that everyone likes the idea I just dont know were to start can you run transparent paper through an ink jet printer. I just thought of this what if I took the transparent sheet and put it over a tinted peice of glass have a lite wired to a push button when the button is pressed you see the reflection of the soldiers i dont know if this would work but if anyone can help I would like to pull this off. Please let me have youre input.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 10:10 PM UTC
Ola PFC

Quoted Text

I just dont know were to start can you run transparent paper through an ink jet printer.

This is absolutely no problem. I believe that the wall itself has a more or less dark color. When printed on these glossy transparent sheets you already have a reflection. When in Photoshop the image that is going to be printed is reworked to about 50% transparancy and then printed it is not only reflective but also you can see through it. When the Nam soldiers are placed behind it it`s like lookin at the reflection but in fact you are looking through the sheet and see another scene behind it.

I think this would be more or less my approach to this

_GOTOTOP