_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trumpeter KV2 Big Turret, 1:35
Stef_6
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hello boys,

2 completed models in 2 weeks, while I haven't been producing no nutttin' this past year ?!! Well, I'm between two employments, so I'm finishing some projects that were neraly complete.
The KV2, is a huge thing, but with this turret, that's even biger.

I was told elsewhere that it's missing "textured" mud, I agree, and need to find a tuto somewhere to achieve it. I hope you'll ike it.
As usual, comments and crits, most welcome.

Best,

Stef (#6)

Viper_msk
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
Nice work, but I see 3 issues:

1. Headlight is quite strange.

2. Factual error - winter camo. None of the KV-2s with Big Turret survived until the winter of 1941.

3. Factual error - decal. Nothing was written on the sides of KV-2's turrets.
Stef_6
Visit this Community
France
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hello Phil,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I'm mostly an aircraft modeller so I must confess I don't put as much research in armor as I put in aircraft - I'm building armor to test new techniques.

The headligth : what seems weird is a black -out painting on the lens, this can be removed;
For the winter camo, first, I wanted to practice this kind of scheme and I saw some colour profiles on the web with it and found this model to be a good basis for trial.

As for the slogans on the turret sides, well, this the Trumpeter scheme, so I just built it from the box.

Well, so much for accuracy ...

Best,

Stef (#6)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Phil, a specific question. Have they (whoever they are) accounted for the losses of all KV-2? It is always assumed that the KV-2 were lost well before winter, but not all German accounts agree. 1 account is from a former Wehrmacht soldier I knew before his passing. He recounted his unit being stopped by a KV-2 and a special tank killer being brought in to kill it. The Russian unit was using it as a static gun. He said it was very cold out but could not remember if it was snowing. Also, he did not know where he was as the time. So it is all allegory, but interesting. If all KV-2 losses can be accounted for, I may be able to find where he was held up by the KV-2.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Jacques, basically all KV-2 were lost in the first two months. The ones that left were taken out of service early in 1942.

Several KV-2 were used near Leningrad in the Fall of 1941 with the last known documented use of KV-2 by the Soviets was in December. Its track was broken and the tank stuck after falling into the German dugout shelter. It continue supporting infantry in the stationary position (12 rounds were fired), and was evacuated on the next day.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 02:43 AM UTC
Alex,

Were the last KV-2 in use around Leningrad, or did they have some in use during the siege of Moscow? I know new material is coming out all the time and I expect that eventually we will see the life of each KV-2 tank documented from creation to end of service. Just wondering if they got any real use after Dec 1941.

And thanks for the info.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
There were no KV-2 listed with Moscow Military district except one in NIIBT at Kubinka. And there are no records found of any KV-2 participating in fighting near Moscow. There is one photo of KV-2 in winter camo apparently taken near Kalinin (now Tver) in january 1942. But that's still far from Moscow. Some sources claim it to be Leningrad Front. http://vfl.ru/i/20110107/b5eff870d38e08a7ac9ab24f2f28246a_1.jpg

Germans still use them until winter 42-43, and apparently the one found by Americans in Essen, Germany was used for "defending Krupp works", which I personally think was just sitting there.

Any time!
 _GOTOTOP