_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Maquette T-26-4 Tank
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
Does anyone have any information on this tank? I just bought one and it is the Zvezda T-26 with a resin turret and white metal gun.
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Zvezda is a good company. They make many good kits, I have a few myself.
It depends on what t-26 you refer to. There are a few varifications.

Here is the very early version of the T-26 with two turrets...

Here is the T-26 Model 1931 with two turrets...

Here is the T-26 late (1933) with one turret and 45mm gun...

Here is the T-26S Model 1937 with one turret...

Here is a brief (o.k. Its not that brief ) history of the T-26
On feb. 13 of 1931the RVS signed an order to accept for Red Army service the "Vickers E" light tank under the new design of T-26 and recommended to start its mass production. The T-26 was produced at the "Bolshevik" factory and the "K.E. Vorishilov" factory. These factories produced 12,000 T-26 tanks. The last T-26 to roll off the assembly line did so in the beginning of 1941.
The first production of T-26 tanks had 2 turrets and were similar to the origional "Vickers". The T-26 became prevelant tank in the soviet tank forces, but soviet tankers strongly disliked this tank.
Armaments:
The T-26 armement consisted of (depending of version)
-2 DT machine guns;
-the 37mm gun and the DT TMG;
-the 45mm gun and the DT TMG.
The tanks armed with the gun were usually commander's tanks; thats why some of them were equipped with radio. The 37mm gun was origionally a Hotchkiss gun modified by the USSR. Later it was replaced by a Soviet 37mm PS-2 gun model 1930. That was a fully redesigned Rheinmetall 37mm AT-gun Pak-30 with a longer barrel and a higher muzzle velocity. Tanks armed with those guns were known as the T-26 model 1932.

Production of the T-26 with a single turret started in 1933. This was the same turret used on the BT-5 tank. That model was equipped with a 45mm gun 20K model 1932/38 as well as a DT TMG. That was the most numberous modification of the T-26, over 5,000 were built. During the production many changes were made: capacity of the fuel tanks was increased, tank recieved an anti-aircraft machine gun, after 1937 all tanks started to equip with a 71-TK-3 radio. A powerful searchlight was installed on the tank for night combat. Different versions of the T-26 carried various ammounts of ammunition.

In 1938, the new T-26 version with the new welded conic turret was developed. The tank was armed with the newest 45mm gun 20K 1932/38 model, advanced gunnery optics, and it had increased capacity of the fuel tanks.

The next modification - the T-26 model 1939 - was made in 1939. It had sloped armor and better engine ventalators to protect against "Molitov Coctails". Up to 1,300 of these were made.

Ok. My fingers Hurt now I'll write some more later maybe. I hope this is useful for you and anyone else who might look at it.

Katyusha
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
Great information, I really appreciate it. The version I bought includes a bigger resin turret and gives the tank a look like a mini KV-II Giant tank. The literature says it has a 76mm gun, and is quite short compared to a normal tank gun.

Here is a link to the kit I got, http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=MQ03510, but fortunately I got mine for $15 and not $34.

The Zvezda base kit is rather good. The hull went together with a little sanding, I did notice a step in the upper hull piece. This looks like a mold swap area and makes the right rear hull roof not even with the top deck. I do have the RPM T-26T artillery tractor, http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=MKR35018, as well. The Zvezda molding looks superior except for the tracks. The Zvezda kit includes two-piece (per side) vinyl tracks and the T-26T includes link to link tracks. I will swap out the tracks for these two kits and try to get another set of RPM individual tracks at a later date.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
Rob:

Here's another website that may have some helpful infomation: http://www.battlefield.ru/t26.html
 _GOTOTOP