_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AAV Upgrade
slayer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 02:00 AM UTC
This is the upgrade the AAVP7A1 will be receiving to extend its life until the 8 wheeled over grown LAV is fielded. It has new ceramic armor ( extra 10k LBS), new pack, 3 inches higher, and new seating. No more bench seats.

slayer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
slayer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC

AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 03:40 AM UTC
Interesting but God.... that is anything but attractive. If they get to the school house in time I'll have to get a buddy to go crazy with a camera - for couple bottles of rum of course.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
does it still float?
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Aluminum still burns.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the upgrade the AAVP7A1 will be receiving to extend its life until the 8 wheeled over grown LAV is fielded. It has new ceramic armor ( extra 10k LBS), new pack, 3 inches higher, and new seating. No more bench seats.

I thought the 8X8 Marine Personnel Carrier (MPC) was separate and that the AAV will soldier on until it's replaced by a new amphib, which isn't the MPC since the MPC can't swim far and fast. The 25+kt EFV was supposed to replace the AAV, but that program was cancelled due to technical and software issues.

My understanding is that the armored MPC is supposed to replace the use of the unarmored MTVR as the Marines' personal transport because those Marines that don't ride in the AAV often ride in back of the MTVR into battle.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 08:12 AM UTC
That looks fugly... and top-heavy. Still, if it does the job and does it better than the old version, why not?
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought the 8X8 Marine Personnel Carrier (MPC) was separate and that the AAV will soldier on until it's replaced by a new amphib, which isn't the MPC since the MPC can't swim far and fast. The 25+kt EFV was supposed to replace the AAV, but that program was cancelled due to technical and software issues.

My understanding is that the armored MPC is supposed to replace the use of the unarmored MTVR as the Marines' personal transport because those Marines that don't ride in the AAV often ride in back of the MTVR into battle.

The replacement for the AAV will be (as of last I read) an 8x however, it is not the MPC but the ACV. I think it is BAE and SAIC that have won initial contracts to produce competing Amphibious Combat Vehicles - both of which are 8x's.
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:01 AM UTC
So much for the whole angled armor approach. Looks like the sides would stop projectiles about the same as a UPS truck.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 06:28 PM UTC
More info in the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQ09ZtJZEI

H.P.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hobby Boss have you seen this?? Then make it!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The replacement for the AAV will be (as of last I read) an 8x however, it is not the MPC but the ACV. I think it is BAE and SAIC that have won initial contracts to produce competing Amphibious Combat Vehicles - both of which are 8x's.

From my understanding of it is that replacement is supposed to happen over a couple phases...the ACVs are supplementing the AAVs.

The primary issue is that Marines and Navy are pushing back amphibious assaults to nearly 65-100 miles off the coast. Right now the AAV would take nearly 15 hours(!) to make that trip. The ACV 1.1 is supposed to be brought in by a connector platform, ACV 1.2 adds capabilities to launch from a well deck (which 1.1 can't do) and the ACV 2.0 is supposed to have some sort of self high speed water transit ability to get to the coasts quicker. The ACV 1.3 phase is a fall back to replace the AAV if the ACV 2.0 isn't successful.

_GOTOTOP