_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Artillery question on M59 and M115
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hello

I'm looking for pictures of what is installed on the bracket that AFV club provides on the right side of the cradle pivot point on their M59 155mm Long Tom, M40 Big Shot and their M115 203mm Howitzer. I searched the internet and can not find anything.

I assume the instruments on the left side are for distance and the right side has something to do with elevations.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

Ralph
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
The left side is a PanTel (Panagraphic Telescope). It is used to visually align the artillery piece on a known direction, then allows the gun to be deflected from that direction (deflection) so it can be aimed along the correct line (angle of deflection) to reach the target.

PanTel

The right side has a couple dial that set off the quadrant elevation. This gives the angle the barrel is elevated or depressed from the horizontal. The large crank wheels are turned until the pointers line up and indicate it is at the correct quadrant elevation.

A hand-held Gunner's Quadrant is also used to verify that the quadrant elevation gauge is correct as a secondary check before firing. This is only placed onto the barrel for a few seconds to make sure it is at the right elevation.

Hope that answers your question.
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 10:07 PM UTC
as you are canadian I'll put it into Cdn terms.
the Pantel helps you to aim the piece by applying a bearing (direction, like a compass bearing ) to the the target.
The elevation quadrant adjusts the horizontal angle of the barrel there by adjusting the range (distance) the projectile goes.
the gunners quadrant is a fine adjust instrument graduated down to .2 of a mil. we only use it for danger close or registration missions.

so you were close, left side is for direction, right side is for elevation (distance).
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello

I'm looking for pictures of what is installed on the bracket that AFV club provides on the right side of the cradle pivot point on their M59 155mm Long Tom, M40 Big Shot and their M115 203mm Howitzer. I searched the internet and can not find anything.

In the M59 kit (and probably the others as well) part C19 is an M1 Quadrant Mount. It did not have any elevation indicators and only a cross level. A Gunner's Quadrant was set upon it to determine the elevation of the piece.

The M40 used a different mount than the towed weapon carriages. It was designed to allow direct fire so there was different telescope mount on the left and an additional telescope mount on the right to hold direct fire telescopes. Because the M40 kit just uses the towed weapon parts, it probably doesn't have the direct fire equipment.

KL
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi

Thank you Gino, I had a feeling that you would come up with the pictures and explanation of how they are used.

Thank you Ian, for the Canadian explanation.

I wonder why AFV club never offered that piece if you where displaying the gun in the firing position, would it have been installed or is it removed every time you fire the gun.

Thank you both,

Ralph
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC
Thank you Kurt,
Do you have any pictures of the two telescopes used on the M40 and I assume the M43 used the same ones.

I know nothing about artillery.

Cheers,

Ralph
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC
The PanTel and Quadrant Elevation sights are kept on when firing. They are usually removed and stored in a case when moving the piece so they are not damaged.
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 05:45 PM UTC
Thank you again Gino

Cheers,

Ralph
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The left side is a PanTel (Panagraphic Telescope). It is used to visually align the artillery piece on a known direction, then allows the gun to be deflected from that direction (deflection) so it can be aimed along the correct line (angle of deflection) to reach the target.

PanTel

The right side has a couple dial that set off the quadrant elevation. This gives the angle the barrel is elevated or depressed from the horizontal. The large crank wheels are turned until the pointers line up and indicate it is at the correct quadrant elevation.

A hand-held Gunner's Quadrant is also used to verify that the quadrant elevation gauge is correct as a secondary check before firing. This is only placed onto the barrel for a few seconds to make sure it is at the right elevation.

Hope that answers your question.

GREAT reference photos!!!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have any pictures of the two telescopes used on the M40 and I assume the M43 used the same ones.

You can download the TMs here:

8-inch howitzer
155mm gun

The section on sighting equipment is is the back. I'm not up to snuff today so pardon me for not checking to see how the weapons differ, but it's easy to see with the TMs. My guess is that the mounts were the same on the M40 and M43.

There were also TMs on the sight mounts themselves but I doubt they are on the web.

This is (probably) the M75 telescope mount on an M40 (really a T83, IIRC):

and this is (probably) the M71 telescope mount with an M1 quadrant mount bolted to the outside of it:

You must be careful to look at the right equipment for the model you are working on. While many of the sights and mounts served the same or similar purposes they were generally designed to fit particular weapons and could look dramatically different. For example, the M9 elevation quadrant pictured above is for the 75mm M34 combination gun mount in a Sherman tank, not a towed gun or howitzer.

HTH,
KL
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Kurt

Sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for the pictures and links.

Do you think it's worth trying to scratch building them for the kits that I have. The M40. M59 and the M115.

Cheers,

Ralph
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you think it's worth trying to scratch building them for the kits that I have. The M40. M59 and the M115.

I don't think anyone can answer that for you except you.

KL
 _GOTOTOP