_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Pics of colourful Tanks needed
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 04:32 PM UTC
I need to proof to some people that there are tanks with special markings or colourful paint job and calryify that such paintings are not reserved to aircraft only.
the AFV buff might wonder what I mean, because panzergrey, sand-yellow, green and drab are colours as well, but not for an aircraft modeller.
some of them think colourful paint and markings are reserved to aircraft only.

I already have a few pics of interesting paint schemes of AFV from Northern Alliance and the balkans. I also have a pic of a Leopard painted in psychodelic fashion.
I have a chieftain in checkerboard camo and a M60 in mersdic ( I am afraid this is wrong )
camo.
I also have a pic of a M113 from Houston police.
I once came over a page where M113 have been used in a fire department--maybe someone knows it.
colourful paintigs of softskins are also welcome.
I would appreciate if you could supply my with pics and links so that I can blame some people over here...

tankbuster - armor rules!
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 07:28 PM UTC
I have a great shot of some extremely colorful Indian BMPs that I will scan tonight when I get home from work and send to you.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC
You should look for american tanks during the korean war
(with a tiger head taking the front half of the turret), and also for british tanks in north africa with
their colored recognition stripes.
But sorry, I've got no pics...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 08:03 PM UTC
My battalion in Germany painted nice art on the front turret slopes of our M1A1s. My company's emblems were not all that colorful (Tazmanian Devil), but the battalion commander's tank had a full color tiger painted on the turret front. Someone in our battalion was a former airbrush artist and he made the tiger look like it was busting out of the turret. Real neat, but I never got a picture of it. I do have pictures of our more subdued "Taz" on the front slopes.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:05 PM UTC
I just got my copy of Gannon's book Israeli Sherman. Get it, BTW, if the subject interests you. Lots of good stuff in there. But I digress...
The back cover shows a color picture of one of the M50 Shermans (long French 75mm) as supplied to the South Lebanon Militia in the late 1970's. The thing is medium blue, something very much like British PRU Blue (for you airplane guys) with black stripes. Other vehicles of this sort had darker blue or olive green stripes. Plenty colorful, especially when the poorly-applied blue faded and flaked, showing the Israeli Sand Grey beneath.

For you Sherman freaks like me, the vehicle in question was really weird: M4A4 long hull, modified to accept diesel engine so a totally different top deck. HVSS suspension on the original wide spacing. High-bustle former M4 (105) turret with characteristic rear bustle and mantlet extension for the long gun. A really trippy tank. It's not blue, but Jaques Littlefield has one down in the SF Bay area.

Greg
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:59 PM UTC
Try the "official M113 site" (www.m113.com), they have two pictures: one of a firefighting M113, and another of a "HAZMAT M577" in white.

I have several books that drawings of a Spanish M47 and the Pakastani/Indian, M47/48s. Aslo have drawings of early French armor in those wild camo schemes of 1940.
r19f
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC
hi.
AT THE MOMENT I HAVE ACCESS TO A MK 10 CHIEFTAIN IN BERLIN BRIGADE CAMOUFLAGE SCHEME AND HAVE A LOT OF PHOTOS
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Our military police uses the YPR-765 (xm-765) and it's blue.

Here's the link for pictures.

http://www.bbemariniers.net/nl/gallery/index.php?page=3

Several of them.
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2002 - 05:32 PM UTC
thans guys, for all these replies..I am currentlyworking from home pc, which I have to clear soon for my wife..I will come back to u next week ..
regards, werner
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 10:23 AM UTC
I don't know exactly if these were ae colors of tanks but I think some of them would look good on tanks. They are found on BDU clothes at army surplus stores.

Mark
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 06:58 PM UTC
Here's one that looks interesting.

http://www.wendel.se/rswa/oddsandends.htm

tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 04:46 PM UTC
thanks for your support!
I am a bit wiser now concerning colourful markings and camo and will pick out the best examples to blame the "enemy"

regards, werner
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
Check out Squadron/Signal #6038 "Armor in Korea". It has pics of some really flashy tiger mouth and tiger stripe schemes used on M4s and M46s in Korea. There are some really neat patterns, and I have always been tempted to try one. (I'm not sure my skills are up to it, so I never have.)
swampfox
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:13 AM UTC
I've always been kind of fond of the Swedish "S" Tank in 4 color splinter camo scheme, but have never found a picture of it in that camo. They've always been basic 1 color green.
 _GOTOTOP